Please! I need help! Right click - Properties - Windows explorer has has stopped working!

razeredge7

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hi everyone, this is quite urgent and I need your help
so, when I right click an object, and when i choose properties (be it folders, shortcuts, etc), suddenly there's a notification saying, "windows explorer has stopped working", and the cursor is very laggy as hell!
Guys? I need your help :( I'm having this problem for over 1 week :'(
oh yeah, Im using Windows 7 64 bit....

Solution
Click start
type command on search field
Command prompt will appear , right click on it then choose run as administer
Command prompt will open up
Type :
sfc/scannow
then click enter
it will scan your system for errors and will try to fix it
after it finishes it will display if it found any errors , please see it and type the results here
reboot and check if the problem is fixed or not .
and yes it is safe

if it did not work you probably need to disable registery Context menus , if that did not work too then you have to do a repair / reinstall windows to fix it , or you can go a restore point before the problem appeared if you have created any .
Is ccleaner installed? if it is try this

Close windows explorer. Run it go to tools / startup / context menu. Whatever is here disable it.

Then see if right mouse works.

If it does, there's something (maybe a program you installed (thats added an option to that context menu) thats causing it

Enable the options 1 by 1 to see whats causing it

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
1st off, if it's a recent issue, then it happened because something changed in your system in the past week or two:
-- update misinstalled (though highly unlikely, as they're usually a "work/no work" situation)
-- you installed a new program recently, which is causing the problem; or,
-- when you installed a new program (or visited a website, clicked on an ad link, etc.), malware was installed on your PC.

First step is to verify whether the issue is now part of Windows, or a 3rd-party app. Start up in Safe Mode with Networking; if you still can't right-click without crashing, Windows need repaired (or reinstalled). Pop your Windows Recovery disc in & go through the repair steps. Failing that, make sure your data is backed up, & do a clean reinstall.

If right-clicks work fine in Safe Mode, it's an app (most likely malware) causing the problem. First, see if using System Restore can fix it (make sure you use a Restore Point at least 1 day before you noticed the problem). If that doesn't work, make sure you also try it from Safe Mode. If that doesn't work, scan your system with CCleaner and MalwareBytes -- there's a 3rd one, can't remember the name right now, that also does a good job of finding these things.

razeredge7

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
didnt work... im screwed... :'(
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16450
Application Timestamp: 4aebab8d
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a11
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 000007ff69601a35
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1057
Additional Information 1: 0a11
Additional Information 2: 0a11ae6c03e25c272cf57d156ecc90b9
Additional Information 3: 990f
Additional Information 4: 990ffe38a96b0559aeeaa9fbd308b245

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Hello ,
Could you disable DEP for explorer.exe ?
1- click start , then click control panel
2- click on system icon , then click on Advanced system setting from the left bar .
3- under advanced tab click setting button for performance (first setting button)
4- click on Data execution prevention tab
5- choose Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
6- You will see an add button appeared right beneath the white field , click on it
7- Navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and type explorer.exe in the file name (should be auto-completed for you)
8- then click open , you will see a warning message just click ok .
9- Now you will see Windows Explorer is listed on the white field with a tick on it
10- click apply , then click ok .
11- reboot and check the right click properties .

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Well I have tested it on my PC and nothing went wrong so I guess it is safe to disable the DEP for explorer.exe as stated above .

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Click start
type command on search field
Command prompt will appear , right click on it then choose run as administer
Command prompt will open up
Type :
sfc/scannow
then click enter
it will scan your system for errors and will try to fix it
after it finishes it will display if it found any errors , please see it and type the results here
reboot and check if the problem is fixed or not .
and yes it is safe

if it did not work you probably need to disable registery Context menus , if that did not work too then you have to do a repair / reinstall windows to fix it , or you can go a restore point before the problem appeared if you have created any .

Solution

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Do you have any restore points dated before the problem started ?
check for restore points in control panel ---> recovery ---> Open system restore ---> Choose different restore point ---> click next --> check if you have a restore point that has a date before the problem started .

It could fix the problem however any program you installed after the check point date you choose will be deleted , any other file will be kept safe and untouched .

That is probably your only chance to fix it unless you can do a repair-install windows 7 from a USB device or a DVD or ISO copy .

on a side note are you on auto windows updates ?

Can you go to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
you will find CBS.log file
can you upload it to the internet and post a link to it here ?
it is safe it has no personal information , just the logs for sfc/scannow operations .