Please I want a solution to this problem, SMART Status BAD, Backup and Replace e

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
The ONLY solution is to do what it says.
Backup your data and replace the hard disk, before it fails completely.

or

Ignore the message and cry when the hard disk enevitably dies and takes your data with it.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Is it worth trying to wipe the drive and re-format it first? I was going to try this but when I try to delete the partition from disk management it says my partition is active so cannot delete. This is strange because this is happening on my secondary drive, not my drive that hosts windows.

What's the cleanest/easiest way to make that partication non-active and wipe the drive? Thanks.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks. Yeah I managed to wipe it by booting from the window 7 disk and making the drive 'inactive' via the diskpart command. I then rebooted and ran a Repair Startup a coulple of times. Windows launched and I reformatted the drive successfully.

However it's still screwed. I keep getting the S.M.A.R.T Status error on the drive. It's only a 4 month old drive so it's still covered under warranty. I'm getting a replacement.

cheers.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I ran HD Tune program which looks similar to HD Scan. It found the following 2 problems: -

ID (01) RAW Read Rate Error - Current (37) - Worst (27) - Threshold (51) - Data (18454) - Status (Failed)
ID (C5) Current Pending Sector Current (200) - Worst (200) - Threshold (0) - Data (131) - Status (warning)

That first error looks the worst and the software recommends replacing the drive. (Error Threshold reached, replacing hard drive recommended)

Thanks.

I incorrectly assumed that you had a Seagate drive, which was the reason for my guess at the Reallocated Sector Count. It seems I got mixed up with another thread. Sorry.

In any case, both those attributes are bad, although only the first would entitle you to a warranty replacement.

BTW, I assume it's a Samsung drive.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Oh no worries. Thanks...It's actually a Western Digital. 1.5 TB.