"Please Insert the Correct DVD-ROM, click OK and Restart..." BFME2

techy_06

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I am having trouble playing Battle for Middle Earth 2 on my windows 8 laptop. I installed it on my Windows 8 machine successfully and tried to play it, but the first time I launched it, i got his error "Please Insert the Correct DVD-ROM, click OK and Restart the application", and then the program just stopped.

Each time i try (running as admin, running from the disc, running in compatibility mode, not in compatibility mode) nothing worked.

So I downloaded Virtual Box, and installed a XP SP3 machine. Again, I installed the game from a disc and it installed successfully. But when I went to play it first time I got the same error in the virtual machine!!!

So now, I have no clue what to do. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Notes:
- Not sure this is the right forum, if you can think of a better one I will post there too
- This is a legitimate copy of the game, it is not cracked, it was bought on release date from Best Buy (i say this because I have seen similar threads on this topic and everyone says it must be a pirated game)

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Its more likely the DRM of the game, I bet it will work without a hitch on a pc with windows xp, or vista, windows 7 installed as the os.
This happens all to common with a few games. Maybe take a trip over to the game website and have a look if there is a patch or some information, or forum solution on there.

As a thought though since middle earth 2 was an expansion pack it may be asking for the middle earth DVD as a DRM check.. Give it a try.

techy_06

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies:

Noidea_77 - obviously I am putting in the proper disc

Weaselman - I am running the latest patch of the game already. If it was a DRM issue, wouldn't it still work from XP if its a virtual machine? You mean to say this would only work if XP is the host OS, and no other way?

techy_06

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Well I do not have the means to test it, but I can tell you this:

I originally installed the game on an XP machine, and it worked no problems (except for some lag because it was a crappy computer), then, when I got a new windows 7 computer, I installed it and again, no problems it ran smoothly.

Now I have the problem with my host OS of windows 8. But... What is the point of doing a virtual machine if its not going to get around the "bugs" (if you will) of the host OS? I mean, it worked on XP in the past, so it should work on XP again even if its a virtual environment!

I'm just venting I guess. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm still hunting for a solution that will work either on windows 8 or my XP virtual setup.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I remember this with BF2 series of games, also UT the first. EA developed a patch so BF2, 2142 would run with out the cd. Some computers could run it while other computers could not. Really I think this is DRM hardware driven since some computer can and some cant. Maybe CDrom vendors.

techy_06

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Update: I have downloaded various patches and no-CD cracks to no avail. On a side note, I am thoroughly unimpressed with windows 8, so I am seriously considering just installing windows 7 fresh

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

BOL