[SOLVED] Please inspect my pre-build

BaronVonWinkle

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Hi all,

I'm not the most PC savvy individual when it comes to putting the pieces together, so could clued up members take a look at what I have put together for my next PC build?

Its mostly to play DCS, P3D, FPS shooters etc... I'm not interested In VR

I'm stumped as to what CPU cooler and power supply to use? Also I'm not sure If the motherboard was the correct to use.

I picked the GTX 1080 Ti as I heard the 2070/80 were suffering problems.

Any advice people can give, I'd be most grateful.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£159.18 @ Aria PC)

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste (£4.98 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£109.98 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£157.03 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Box Limited)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card (£549.00 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.39 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1099.55

Kind Regards

Solution
  1. Not sure where you got the impression there was something wrong with the RTX series.
  2. 32GB of memory is overkill for a gaming system. Very few games use over 8GB, those that do, around 11GB.
  3. No reason not to get NMVe storage, particularly in a 500GB drive. 1TB drives are relatively cheap as well, use the excess from the memory to get yourself a larger drive. (As it sits, you have capacity for maybe 2 or 3 high end game installations.)

CPU cooler really depends on how much you want to spend and whether you want water cooling or air cooling. You have the capacity to overclock so keep that in mind. Chassis has no real limitations, 180mm max CPU cooler height and support for 360mm/280mm radiators.

Sub 50 pound I would say...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Not sure where you got the impression there was something wrong with the RTX series.
  2. 32GB of memory is overkill for a gaming system. Very few games use over 8GB, those that do, around 11GB.
  3. No reason not to get NMVe storage, particularly in a 500GB drive. 1TB drives are relatively cheap as well, use the excess from the memory to get yourself a larger drive. (As it sits, you have capacity for maybe 2 or 3 high end game installations.)

CPU cooler really depends on how much you want to spend and whether you want water cooling or air cooling. You have the capacity to overclock so keep that in mind. Chassis has no real limitations, 180mm max CPU cooler height and support for 360mm/280mm radiators.

Sub 50 pound I would say:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal

Power supply for a 1080Ti and 95W CPU, I'd say 550W would be a decent start.

On the cheaper side:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

My pick:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

Solution

BaronVonWinkle

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply Eximo

I read some users were suffering crashes using 2070/80, just something I picked up while trying to research a new build.

Not sure what you mean by NMVe storage? I have a Samsung 500gb in my build now, so was looking for an additional.

Regards to CPU cooler, air cooled is fine.

Would you say the MOBO and GPU is a good match or is there a better combo I could go with? Would that be good to play the games I've listed?

As I do want to future proof myself somewhat.

Kind Regards

GTX1080ti is a very strong card. Equivalent to the RTX2080. A good pick if the price is right.

The stock cooler is fine unless you are overclocking.

If you want a top cooler, look at the noctua nh-d15w. It comes wit good paste.
The cooler is quiet and easy to install.

As to power supplies, buy only a quality unit.
I like the samsung focus units. 650w will be ok, but
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20% to 750w.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

SSD prices are down.
I think I would opt for a 1tb ssd.
The intel 660P m.2 pcie device sells for less.
The value of pcie is faster sequential data transfer.
That is not as good as it sounds since most work is random. But, it can't hurt.
The samsung 970 evo is slightly better performer if the price difference is not too much.
Even a 1tb 860 would be good.

2 x 8gb ram is all you really need for gaming.
Take the time to verify that your ram kit is on the motherboard supported qvl list.
Ryzen can be picky on ram.

BaronVonWinkle

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Ok, so I've taken some advice onboard and revised the build below,

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GfygBZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£159.18 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (£179.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£69.22 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card (£549.00 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.39 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£92.99 @ Box Limited)

Total: £1229.76

I've tried to keep to that price, as that really the budget I was hoping to keep within.

Let me know

Kind Regards