Please! Interesting New Build Problem

ContagiousDeath

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys,

I built my new P.C a few days ago and it wouldn't boot up yet when i turned the on button i can charge my phone and my external hard drive works. But nothing in the P.C turns on (fans, LED's or anything) But the Power supply makes a one click when i turn press then on button. One day i left it on and when i came home it was running and i installed windows and everything else but each night after i shut it down it take 3-7 hours to turn it back on im really confused

Please help

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Try disconnecting your front panel connectors and manually triggering your power switch with a paper clip or screw driver. If that fails pull the whole system apart and breadboard it (connect outside of case on a non conductive surface, motherboard box works in a pinch) with only the essentials required for proper POST (MB, ram, cpu + fan, video, power)

If breadboarding fails it could be your power supply or motherboard. Power supply is the easiest to test, as finding someone with a compatible motherboard is more difficult than finding a random ATX power supply.

I hope you bought your parts from a reputable shop though because baring something like an LED being connected to the power switch, it sounds like you will have to RMA at least one of them.

ContagiousDeath

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

i already tried all of this with he motherboard and all that but the random part is that it turns on at random times and it works 100% well thats when it decides to turn on... any ideas?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The randomness is what makes me think you have a faulty motherboard or power supply, the front panel connector was just a hopeful shot in the dark. If you have tried an alternate power supply with the same results, I would RMA your motherboard.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I thought your issue was being unable to turn the computer on, but your last post makes it seem like its more of an issue with the computer turning itself on. If your machine is randomly turning on, you may need to modify the system state after power failure settings in the BIOS.

Many computers BIOS let you pick if you want the system to do in the event of a power failure. If your system is set to "Power on" then every time you get a brown out your computer will power on, even if it was turned off.

Aside from that, power supplies are a somewhat universal component so you can borrow one from anyone you know with a computer and test theirs in your setup to see if the symptoms are still present.