[SOLVED] Please judge my upcoming build

Jun 1, 2020
OK. So I've been out of the game for almost a decade and I may have made some irresponsible choices.

I want y'all to judge my build so that I may learn something. Make no mistake, this thing is being built considering all of the components are swiftly on their way.

Specifications:

MoBo
Asus PRIME Z490-A

CPU
Intel i5 10600k

RAM
Corsair Vengeance 3200 2x8GB RGB (white)

Case
NZXC H510 Elite (white)

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 (Black w RGB Fan) (push)
Supplemented with a Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (grey) (pull)

EDIT Corsair H115i 280mm (black)

GPU
EVGA 1080 GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (bought barely used for less than half MSRP)

PSU
EVGA Supernova G5 750w 80+ Gold

Storage
Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB
(and additional 2.5" SSD)

Sleeve Extension
Asia Horse Kit (white)

This is a HUGE upgrade for me so I want to know if I'm even doing it right.
As mentioned previously, these parts are all well on their way so I'm not looking for suggestions, but rather an upgrade path if there is something I could consider in the future.

I'm excited to get back into the game, but I welcome your criticisms!

Last edited:
Solution
And you already ordered everything too... bummer.
I'm going to have to give you a 0/10, because of the cooler you paired with the cpu.
Power Limit 1 is for the cpu operating at base frequency.
Power Limit 2 is for the cpu to reach those advertised boost frequencies.
Tau is the time allowed for the cpu to run at PL 2, after which it's forced back down to PL 1 temporarily.
The Hyper 212 is a 150w TDP cooler.
10600K is going to thermal throttle with that cooler - 182w VS 150w... and none of that includes overclocking, which throws the power limits out the window; the 10600K will easily see more than 200w after that.

Alternatives: the big air coolers and 240/280mm...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And you already ordered everything too... bummer.
I'm going to have to give you a 0/10, because of the cooler you paired with the cpu.
Power Limit 1 is for the cpu operating at base frequency.
Power Limit 2 is for the cpu to reach those advertised boost frequencies.
Tau is the time allowed for the cpu to run at PL 2, after which it's forced back down to PL 1 temporarily.
The Hyper 212 is a 150w TDP cooler.
10600K is going to thermal throttle with that cooler - 182w VS 150w... and none of that includes overclocking, which throws the power limits out the window; the 10600K will easily see more than 200w after that.

Alternatives: the big air coolers and 240/280mm liquid coolers.
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Thermalright Silverarrow T8 or Le Grand Macho RT
Noctua NH-U12A or NH-D15S
^There's a few more air cooler options, but none of them would handle the cpu with an overclock... which is one of the reasons to get the K cpu.

EVGA 1080 GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (bought barely used for less than half MSRP)
Unless you personally know the seller, I wouldn't trust that 'barely used' claim...

Now, if I were to temporarily take just a point off for the cooler oopsie, I'd give it a 8/10.
-Psu is so-so: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html
-1TB Samsung SSD is pricey for just a gaming build

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
I share the same concerns as Phaaze.

What is the "MSRP" you're going by? Hard to rate based on a percentage of a number that has changed over time.

And used is used unless you know the person's usage personally. GPUs don't have odometers.

Not sure why you'd ask for feedback on a build you've already ordered and not changing. Like most people, I'm not terribly thrilled about meaningless exercises.

Jun 1, 2020

Big oof. Thank you for that. I honestly thought that the CPU cooler was going to be good enough for just basic usage until I was knowledgeable enough to upgrade to an AIO cooler.

Unless you personally know the seller, I wouldn't trust that 'barely used' claim...

Yea, this is a personal friend of mine that I trust. He admits the card was overkill for the non-gaming system it was used for. The temps should never have gotten above normal idle levels. It's currently being used in my soon-to-be-replaced system and it works excellent.

Not sure why you'd ask for feedback on a build you've already ordered and not changing. Like most people, I'm not terribly thrilled about meaningless exercises.

Yet you still replied? Look, I did ask for suggestions on an upgrade path, which you helped confirm by mirroring Phaaze's sentiments. Good to have a second opinion. Also, there is some time left before everything arrives. Returning parts is an option.

-Psu is so-so: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html
-1TB Samsung SSD is pricey for just a gaming build

Considering current affairs, the PSU was the best I could find that would arrive within a few days as opposed to 1-2 months (unfortunately, time is a factor in my situation). Also, anything that would have been better was 2x overpriced.

And the build will be used for other productive means so I went with the Samsung instead of the Intel 660p. The SSDs I'm carrying over from my previous build will supplement the storage space.

Factoring in that the last parts will not be arriving for at least another few days I still have time to return the CPU cooler for something better.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yea, this is a personal friend of mine that I trust. He admits the card was overkill for the non-gaming system it was used for. The temps should never have gotten above normal idle levels. It's currently being used in my soon-to-be-replaced system and it works excellent.
You actually know the seller, that's great! No problems there.

Considering current affairs, the PSU was the best I could find that would arrive within a few days as opposed to 1-2 months (unfortunately, time is a factor in my situation). Also, anything that would have been better was 2x overpriced.
Understood. Covid has really messed with pricing - 3rd party sellers are price gouging as opposed to direct from Amazon and Newegg, for example - and availability.

And the build will be used for other productive means so I went with the Samsung instead of the Intel 660p. The SSDs I'm carrying over from my previous build will supplement the storage space.
Gotcha.

Factoring in that the last parts will not be arriving for at least another few days I still have time to return the CPU cooler for something better.
Please do.
The H510 Elite supports air coolers up to, but not exactly, 165mm tall. I already listed some of your best options in that area.
For liquid coolers, there's:
NZXT Kraken X53/X63
Corsair H100i/H115i
Arctic Liquid Freezer II
^Just a few examples. Most 240/280mm are compatible with that chassis.

Jun 1, 2020
The H510 Elite supports air coolers up to, but not exactly, 165mm tall. I already listed some of your best options in that area.
For liquid coolers, there's:
NZXT Kraken X53/X63
Corsair H100i/H115i
Arctic Liquid Freezer II
^Just a few examples. Most 240/280mm are compatible with that chassis.

Thank you! It seems I had more homework to do. I will track one of these down ASAP.