Please need help. My GPU is causing black, white, pink and green screen.

doulos1382

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
PC specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC edition 11Gbps
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200)
PSU: CORSAIR AX Series, AX760, 760 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified

First of all, my native language it's not english, so if say something confusing or not understandable, I'm sorry right from the start, but I really need help.

Well, I bought like a year ago the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC 11Gbps, everything was working fine, had no problem at all through the whole year. No overheating, I didn't overclock at all, I clean the video card every now and then (well the entire pc) so no dust on the pc, etc. 3 days ago, I was playing Warframe, everything was going well when suddenly my monitor goes black and the sound starts to loop, I had to reboot the pc. When I rebooted the pc everything was working fine, the monitor was displaying everything with no problems, I thought it was the game itself that crashes, I started the game again and the crash goes again when the game loads, but this time there's a green screen and the loop sound, I had to reboot the pc again, I tested with another game and when the game loads completely, the same issue happens.

I turned off the pc and removed the video card, there was no dust or something burned, everything was fine within the card, I cleaned up a little bit just to be sure, then I reseated the card, turn on the pc and started to try again with the another game (this time was battlefield 1) and then occurs the same issue, when the ingame loads my display goes black again and the pc needs to hard reboot. Just to clarify, the pc doesn't reboot itself, as soon the crash happens, I need to reboot it myself. So anyway, that same day I uninstalled the drivers to do a fresh install. I installed the nvidia driver 416.34. When I finish to configure the drivers, I started a game to test and still no luck.

The next day, I tried again and this time the games were working, I started to play warframe and then I realized the video card was going to crazy temperatures, as high as 85 to 90 C°, I close the game and then the temperature was going down, but suddenly the displays shuts off again and displays a white screen, and then another hard reboot. I open the case, removed the video card, open the videocard, I check and there's nothing damaged from what I saw. I clean it up a bit more (with a dust brush I have) and then I apply a new thermal paste to the chip. Everything was clean, reseated again the card and started another game (the temperatures were stable between 30-40-50 C°) and no luck again, but this time was a pink screen. At this time was getting really frustrated, because I tested with videos and worked, everything displays good but it goes black, white, pink or green screen right when a game loads internally (menus in games works). And I noticed that it happens with GPU intensive games (warframe, BF 1, GTA V, etc) I tried with some games that doesn't require too much gpu and it works great. Oh and another thing, I have a thermaltake tester Dr. power II and ran a test on my PSU and everything was fine (blue screen on the tester which indicates no faults). So if anyone knows what could be happening to my pc, I greatly appreciate your help, because I don't know what else I can do. Thank you for your time.

Solution
Sounds like your GPU is dying. If you still have warranty then i would return it without doing anything with the card.
Its a rather common problem with every GPU on the Market. The connection between the GPU Card and the actual GPU Core does get very stressed if you play games due to all these heating and cooling cycles. As you probably know, metal does stretch a little bit if it gets warm.

Over time this "little Stretch" can cause a connection to break and completly lose connection or only when the gpu is under load / warm.

So as i said, if you can return the GPU - just do it.
Other then that there is nothing that would bring your card back for a long time.
You can try to bake the card (if you have no warranty left) but that only...
Sounds like your GPU is dying. If you still have warranty then i would return it without doing anything with the card.
Its a rather common problem with every GPU on the Market. The connection between the GPU Card and the actual GPU Core does get very stressed if you play games due to all these heating and cooling cycles. As you probably know, metal does stretch a little bit if it gets warm.

Over time this "little Stretch" can cause a connection to break and completly lose connection or only when the gpu is under load / warm.

So as i said, if you can return the GPU - just do it.
Other then that there is nothing that would bring your card back for a long time.
You can try to bake the card (if you have no warranty left) but that only works in maybe 50% of the time and will give you maybe another 3 months until the problem comes back.

Solution

doulos1382

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018

Yeah you're right, and it's starting to get worse :(, it crash with some minor games now, at least there's a 3 year warranty for the video card. I better get a replacement then. It sucks it got bad only a year after. Thanks for your response.