Please please help me with my LOUD, NOISY, power supply?

naomi88

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Dear Community,

I have a nasty problem with my computer.

I just built up a computer from these simple parts that I bought the other day:

i5-750 with stock Intel fan
asus P7P55D
1 seagate 500GB
2 g-skill PC3-1333 (4GB RAM)
antec TP-750 power supply
antec 300 case
sapphire 5770 (and also tested a simple geforce 310 but still same problem)

I'm not looking to overclock. I'm just looking for a stable system.

Anyways, when I put it all together, it posted fine with a single short beep, and all seemed great. But I noticed a loud noise from the fans or power supply. So I thought to install Windows 7 64-bit and it installed fine, but that didn't help the noise.

The problem I have is that it seems like the power supply doesn't seem to "ramp down". What do I mean? Well, it's like you know how when you turn your system on, the power supply will spin super fast and loud for about 1-2 seconds and then calm down to whisper quiet?

Well, my system doesn't settle down like that! It's like so weird. It stays like full fan power like it's fully loaded up or something. But this is like a super simple system and 750W should be more than enough without overloading the p.s. to make it spin like so crazy? (And I know it's 100% for sure the power supply and not the case fans. I disconnected all case fans to check! It's also not the CPU fan or video card fan. I also disconnected those to check.)

Any help that anyone can provide would be so much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

NM

naomi88

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I forgot P7P55D mobo reports CPU voltage 1.192V, CPU temp - 42, MB Temp - 28, Power Supply fan speed 1180. The power supply just is so unbelievably loud! It's not like vibration noise or anything like that. The noise is like jet engine loud, extra loud fan speed or something. I have an AMD system which is on the loud side with a 500W Antec power supply in the Sonata case, but the i5 system with the TP-750 power supply is so loud I can't even stand it! I would have expected it be much quieter!

That would be a good trick.
There would have to be an RPM cable hooked up to the motherboard in order for it to report any RPMs, the TPN 750 doesn't have one.
The motherboard is reporting the RPM's of whatever fan you have plugged into the PWR_FAN header.

naomi88

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Delluser, you're right. I read the manual and "Power Fan" means power to the case fan, not to the power supply.

I double checked to make sure I unhooked all the fans. It's definately the power supply making the loud turbine type noise. The power supply remains in full blast mode after I hit the power switch to turn on the computer. The computer posts fine and Windows loads, but the power supply is still on full blast.

I'm still thinking it's either the power supply is messed up by getting "stuck" on full throttle/maximum fan speed, or maybe it's the mobo that's sending out incorrect temps or voltage to the power supply so that it thinks it needs to run full blast? Does the mobo control the "ramping down" of the fan speed in the power supply after power on? The motherboard is reporting mobo temp as 27-28 degrees and CPU temp 41-42 degrees which is pretty normal I'm thinking. I can't see this triggering the fan to run on max in the power supply but who knows?

Any thoughts what could be going on here? Could it be the Antec TP-750? It's brand new out of the box! I don't have another power supply to test unfortunately. Or maybe the ASUS P7P55D mobo?

The power supply has its own fan controller built in, the motherboard does not affect the power supply's noise level.

Check using the paper clip trick to see if the fan goes up to full speed even if the PSU isnt under load.
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-power-supply-psu.html
Its probably a bad fan controller in the PSU, call up antec and see if they will replace it for you.

Solution

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

The speed of the fan depends on the heat inside the PSU which depends mainly on the load of your system (wattage total provided), anyway I have an Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU (the EA500-EC model) in a sonata case and it's fully quiet.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The fan (of the TP-750) is an ADDA AD1212HB-A7BGL (high-speed and low noise ball bearing fan) of 12 cm in diameter and 2.5 cm high with seven blades and 85, 2 CFM at 12 V (0,37A). The fan speed is automatically controlled by the internal component temperature (speeds up as the combined load and temperature increases) via an onboard PWM speed controller. At idle loads, this fan is super quiet, making very little to no noise. With loads, the fan speeds up a bit, making a light whirring sound, but the noise is still very acceptable. So if your fan sounds loud, in my opinion, it would be because of a defective PSU. If I were you I would contact Antec.

Shadowsken

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

Is the noise coming from the case more of a rattle than just a loud noise? Check the innards of the PSU...
I recently bought an EarthWatts 500W from Antec, and it was all working fine but a piece of sealing plastic material ~ 2 inches long was inexplicably lodged in the grill of the PSU. It's a remote chance but worth a look.

Also have you plugged in everything correctly. Last time I built mine I forgot the motherboard power connector and had the same continuous fan noise as you.

naomi88

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Thank you everyone for your assistance. Special thanks to hunter and Henry! So it turned out to be a defective power supply with a bad controller just like you said. I just picked up a new power supply and all is well. It's whisper quiet now and really nice. Again many thanks to all!

ampdude

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I'm currently having the exact same problem with a new TP-650. I thought I was going insane at first. I thought the cpu fan was going nuts, then I thought maybe the graphics card. Finally I opened up the case and realized it was the power supply fan. It just ramps up to full speed for no reason for hours on end when the computer is doing absolutely nothing. And the air blowing out the back is cold. Then it will stop for awhile barely spinning. Then it will ramp up again to full speed for hours. I'm going to RMA this one to Newegg. I wonder if Antec is having a fan controller issue with these TP True Power supplies? My old Earthwatts 650 never had this problem.