Question Please Please HELP With Low Framerate!

Nov 16, 2019
Hey!

I recently started having a lower framerate than usual, meaning it isn't extremely low but instead of say 98-100 in the witcher 3, I loaded the same save and now in the same spot I'm getting 76-78...
Happens in every other program and utility ( Heaven Benchmark)
*I had a Windows update but went back with restore point.
* tried reinstalling previous drivers with DDU
*Checked with HWinfo for any irregularities- all is well (temps clocks etc)
*ran virus scan

--MY Thoughts--

I recall stupidly changing( recently ) some settings in registry editor because I started having lower performance in Red Dead2 and I think it made it worse..
The video in question is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJBDEDDS5o&t=1095s
( the video I followed which showed some options to change in registry )

**Here are my system specs:

-Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
-Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
- Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
-System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
-Monitor Model: Y25f
- System Model: MS-7B24
- BIOS: A.40 (type: UEFI)
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
- Memory: 16384MB RAM
-Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
- Page File: 6334MB used, 26788MB available

- DirectX Version: DirectX 12
- DX Setup Parameters: Not found

- DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
- Miracast: Available, with HDCP
-Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
-DirectX Database Version: Unknown

Thanks In advance to any reader and for any assistance!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load? Also, are you OCing anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Also, messing with your registry can lead to you having to re-install Windows. Don't blindly rely upon "fixes" found on the Interwebs.

I wouldn't get my hopes up that anyone is going to watch a 36 minute long video to see where you may have gone wrong. Did you backup your registry BEFORE you changed it?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019
What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load? Also, are you OCing anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Also, messing with your registry can lead to you having to re-install Windows. Don't blindly rely upon "fixes" found on the Interwebs.

I wouldn't get my hopes up that anyone is going to watch a 36 minute long video to see where you may have gone wrong. Did you backup your registry BEFORE you changed it?
Hey there!
Thanks a bunch for the reply!

My temps are fine :
CPU: idles around 29-32
In game doesn’t go above 62

Gpu: idles around 33 and in game doesn’t go above 60

I am OCeing the gpu and memory, but it was Oced for a long time now and everything ran fine..
Gpu goes up to 2025 mhz
And memory is oced to 2500 if I recall correctly

I truly agree with you about the registry, I’m not a real pro in understanding the delicate workings in the system which is why I even attempted to try all that..shouldn’t have messed with it.

I did back it up tho, with the restore point, went back and it was indeed reset to before I messed with it yet everything remains the same... so I decided to go back to the point where I did mess with it again ( I do system restore) and now I’m stuck with the edited registry..didn’t know when you undo the restore you cannot go back to it once more.

I get that the video is long but since I have views it all I can summarize all he changed if it would help

Again I have to say I appreciate greatly all help with the matter!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Run your benchmarks and establish your baseline performance. Then you can compare relative changes by tweaking afterward.

Just for better understanding of what you have in your system, are you using the stock Intel heatsink? What is the make/model of your power supply and all storage devices?

Nov 16, 2019
Run your benchmarks and establish your baseline performance. Then you can compare relative changes by tweaking afterward.

Just for better understanding of what you have in your system, are you using the stock Intel heatsink? What is the make/model of your power supply and all storage devices?
Ok, I'm using Noctua coolers and antec ones ( 2 front antec+ noctua intake & 2 back output noctua +antec)
PSU 650W HIGH POWER
SSD 250GB Patriot Blast
HDD 500GB Kingston
HDD 500GB Kingston

Nov 16, 2019

New Findings!
Quite peculiar but the framerate did not change whatsoever.. still 76-80 in the benchmarking spot.
I had something similar happen and managed to resolve it by disabling High Precision Event Timer, dynamic tick and another thingy through Cmd but it didnt work this time..

COLGeek

Cybernaut
New Findings!
Quite peculiar but the framerate did not change whatsoever.. still 76-80 in the benchmarking spot.
I had something similar happen and managed to resolve it by disabling High Precision Event Timer, dynamic tick and another thingy through Cmd but it didnt work this time..
I assume you mean you tested after setting to stock and got the same speeds as before. Is that correct?

Then, you mention changing things. Was that before or after setting to stock speeds?

Nov 16, 2019
I assume you mean you tested after setting to stock and got the same speeds as before. Is that correct?

Then, you mention changing things. Was that before or after setting to stock speeds?
Yes!
I set the memory to stock through bios and gpu through msi

Hello once more blessed savior!
Yes! I changed memory through Bios and gpu Pc through msi

about disabling Hpet and dynamic tick- I told you I enabled it once because of a video and it had the same effect on frame rate ..this time it did nothing of significance.. though I tried it before restoring OCes to their factory settings, should I try once more?

I have to say, again, I’m glad someone’s taking interest and actually thoroughly trying to help!

In order to make this a bit shorter potentially, reformatting windows/ reseting it to factory settings- will it solve the issue you think?

Jul 23, 2019
My temps are fine :
CPU: idles around 29-32
In game doesn’t go above 62
Than That is low and You can overclock if you havńt without. having to worry about overheating.
Are those (Noctua and Antec) your case fans? What is attached to the CPU, cooling it?
The temps are low so he is using a good cooler COLGeek :benetton:.

You can overclock probably to 3.5ghz-3.8ghz Or even past..
I believe you can with your cooler.

But I am not responsible if anything goes wrong.
I shall not respond if your CPU is overheating. So be careful.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Than That is low and You can overclock if you havńt without. having to worry about overheating.

The temps are low so he is using a good cooler COLGeek :benetton:.

You can overclock probably to 3.5ghz-3.8ghz Or even past..
I believe you can with your cooler.

But I am not responsible if anything goes wrong.
I shall not respond if your CPU is overheating. So be careful.
There is more at play here than whether the CPU is sufficiently cooled. Let's help the OP get to stable performance, with a properly configured registry, before we start down the OC path.

Nov 16, 2019
Yeah I Oced the gpu and memory tho I can’t the processor since it’s not with the “K”
My issue is sudden lower frame rate and I wonder what caused/ is causing this.
I did go back with a restore point and all registry changes reverted yet the issue remained..

What it might be:

-haven’t updated Bios yet worth a try

-installed some apps for cpu like cpu core parking and project lasso could be they have something to do with it?

-recently watched video and tried working a bit in the registry but it might be what caused everything to go worse.( tho the restore point removed all changes)

-haven’t checked voltages other than my cpu being 0.925

- I have a lot of pagefile being used every time I game like above 17Gb sometimes

- what else?

**And once more appreciate the feedback and quick responses, all other times I’ve tried calling for help I remained all alone to face the issue, you fellas are the best.

Nov 16, 2019
Good luck. Trying random stuff isn't going to help.
Well, as I previously mentioned, I’m not experienced.
Random stuff is basically things I gathered from people with similar issues..
I wanted to write it all here cuz maybe one of them is the obvious culprit.
In the end I added “what’s more?”
For you to add anything of your own..

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Well, as I previously mentioned, I’m not experienced.
Random stuff is basically things I gathered from people with similar issues..
I wanted to write it all here cuz maybe one of them is the obvious culprit.
In the end I added “what’s more?”
For you to add anything of your own..
Did you re-install Windows as previously mentioned?

Nov 16, 2019
Yeah... my thoughts are, as random as it gets since I really did try a lot, updating Bios, clean booting without background apps and maybe RMAing the graphics card..
If you have any suggestions, anything at all that I might have missed I will be glad to give it a go!

Not exactly. The issue is you have tried so many things, it would seem, that we really don't know where to start.

Nov 16, 2019
Did you re-install Windows (full, clean installation) yet? Or, are you still trying to do/un-do the previous changes?
I still tried searching around before doing the clean re- install in hopes of something turning up..
As of now not much changed

Mahisse

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Did you by any chance update the GPU driver? If so, try rolling back to the old one from where you had good performance. Just throwing it in there since I didn't see it mentioned and it was the first thought I had. Registry tempering is by standard a no-no. I don't think it's your issue here but it could cause conflicts later on. But I don't see why you shouldn't be able to just undo what you did in the first place.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS