[SOLVED] Please Please HELP With Low Framerate!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 16, 2019
Hey!

I recently started having a lower framerate than usual, meaning it isn't extremely low but instead of say 98-100 in the witcher 3, I loaded the same save and now in the same spot I'm getting 76-78...
Happens in every other program and utility ( Heaven Benchmark)
*I had a Windows update but went back with restore point.
* tried reinstalling previous drivers with DDU
*Checked with HWinfo for any irregularities- all is well (temps clocks etc)
*ran virus scan

--MY Thoughts--

I recall stupidly changing( recently ) some settings in registry editor because I started having lower performance in Red Dead2 and I think it made it worse..
The video in question is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJBDEDDS5o&t=1095s
( the video I followed which showed some options to change in registry )

**Here are my system specs:

-Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
-Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
- Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
-System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
-Monitor Model: Y25f
- System Model: MS-7B24
- BIOS: A.40 (type: UEFI)
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
- Memory: 16384MB RAM
-Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
- Page File: 6334MB used, 26788MB available

- DirectX Version: DirectX 12
- DX Setup Parameters: Not found

- DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
- Miracast: Available, with HDCP
-Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
-DirectX Database Version: Unknown

Thanks In advance to any reader and for any assistance!!

Solution
@Mahisse @COLGeek
@theonerm2
Fellas!
I managed to fix the issue!!!!!
and I hope this can potentially help others with a similar problem.
It was the motherboard power limiting the CPU basically causing a massive bottleneck
( could be ram also, since I changed the speed to 3200mhz)

**I’ll start with my early steps before I found the culprit.

1) Some background:

First, I decided to RMA the gpu to make sure it’s alright, when it returned I was told no issues were found, though a note was left for me which raised my hopes a little. It read: “ the graphics card showed no discrepancies whatsoever. We suggest you check other system components, especially the PSU.”

2) Changing parts:

Well, my PSU really was from an unknown...
Nov 16, 2019
@Mahisse hey man (or woman) my reply to you just disappeared so I’ll write once more.

I tried going back to the previous driver but alas, the same performance...

I tried something- I removed all software related to OC and monitoring and for some reason my driver went from DCH to standard( up till now it was DCH).

Other than that I did go back with a restore point and it changed nothing so, I believe this problem went on for quite some time and I just started noticing it recently

Mahisse

Distinguished
Honestly, the question is also if you were seeing things that weren't there in the first place. Perhaps the game was updated when you noticed a difference in FPS or you looked in another direction upon loading, or your CPU was doing tasks in the background the second time you loaded the game. I know you say you also had it in benchmarks but I'm just throwing it in there as well.

Did you completely remove the GPU driver using a driver cleaner tool and try to reinstall the driver on a reboot?
There are many things that could have caused a worse performance. Even an update of a driver/BIOS can sometimes turn out to provide worse performance than older drivers. It happens.
I have to agree if you really want to solve this issue and get to the bottom of it you should do a complete reinstall of the system.

Nov 16, 2019
Honestly, the question is also if you were seeing things that weren't there in the first place. Perhaps the game was updated when you noticed a difference in FPS or you looked in another direction upon loading, or your CPU was doing tasks in the background the second time you loaded the game. I know you say you also had it in benchmarks but I'm just throwing it in there as well.

Did you completely remove the GPU driver using a driver cleaner tool and try to reinstall the driver on a reboot?
There are many things that could have caused a worse performance. Even an update of a driver/BIOS can sometimes turn out to provide worse performance than older drivers. It happens.
I have to agree if you really want to solve this issue and get to the bottom of it you should do a complete reinstall of the system.
@Mahisse
About gpu: yeah, I think I removed everything.. I used DDUs option “clean and restart” isn’t it removing the driver completely?

about reinstallation :
Sure, I’ll do just that
I’m certain that in the Witcher I’m in the same spot looking in the same direction and the frameramte shouldn’t be lower by 20 frames.
Something changed..
Once I complete the reinstall, should I look for something else?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019
@Mahisse , @COLGeek

Hey fellas!
I'm back with some news..
I did clean reinstall the windows and the problem remains..so it was no software issue or my previous changes to the registry..
What should I try next?
I did check for stability in the Gpu and its completely fine, Cpu had some spikes but overall no bottleneck...
the framerate I'm getting now in Unigine Heaven Is the same I used to get when my gpu wasnt OCed ( 119.6 )...

Nov 16, 2019
Are you sure you're not using some settings that are different than what you previously used?

Hey!
Nope, same settings- 100% certain..
So I RMAed my gpu, after multiple tests they said its fine and further added to check my system components, especially the power supply.
I bought a new psu since my previous one was of an unknown company and might not provide enough wattage.
I can now further overclock I noticed but my gpu stays at the same clock and the voltage doesnt change even though I increase it in msi afterburner...
Anyway still havent solved the issue!

Nov 16, 2019
@Mahisse @COLGeek
@theonerm2
Fellas!
I managed to fix the issue!!!!!
and I hope this can potentially help others with a similar problem.
It was the motherboard power limiting the CPU basically causing a massive bottleneck
( could be ram also, since I changed the speed to 3200mhz)

**I’ll start with my early steps before I found the culprit.

1) Some background:

First, I decided to RMA the gpu to make sure it’s alright, when it returned I was told no issues were found, though a note was left for me which raised my hopes a little. It read: “ the graphics card showed no discrepancies whatsoever. We suggest you check other system components, especially the PSU.”

2) Changing parts:

Well, my PSU really was from an unknown firm, old and was just barely enough for my rig.
Could be it?
Changed to another one, from Evga, 850 watts gold rated ( an overkill for sure but I keep the future in mind).
The issue hasn’t been fixed though.
Haven’t lost my tiny bit of hope yet!

So Next I tried switching something that has been in my system from the beginning. My ddr4 2400 MHz ram.
I wanted the trident Z 3200 MHz from gskill.
But alas my motherboard did not support such high speeds.

I bought the Asus TUF Gaming Z390 pro which supports sli & crossfire, also ram oceing up to 4266 MHz! ( obviously it has much more goodness but I’ll focus on the important traits of said motherboard)

Installed this baby and oced my original ram from 2400 over to 3200.
I boot some games to see if my frame rate went up, even a little.
Low and behold it worked. The beauty of it all.

3) Payoff:

Remember the area from the Witcher where I got 80 frames ??
Screw that!
113 FPS now.
Unigine heaven 118 FPS average?
Hah! Preposterous!
127 now.
Red dead redemption 2 : 80 average ,
62 minimum , 118 max?
Went up as well, tremendously: 104 average, 80 minimum, 142 maximum.
( have pictures for comparisons if it’s of interest to anyone)

And it’s consistent with every game- 10->20+ FPS Increase .

4) Conclusion:

So my guess is the motherboard was limiting the cpu, not sending enough power.

Last edited:
Solution