"Please power down and connect the PCIe power cable" issue with recently purchased GeForce GTX 1080

Jul 30, 2018
I am having trouble getting my recently purchased GeForce GTX 1080 to work. I am receiving the following message on boot: "Please power down and connect the PCIe power cable(s) for this graphics card." I suspect it has something to do with not getting enough power from my PSU. The GPU was provided with an 8 pin male cable that splits into two 6 pin females. My PSU did not have two free 6 pin male cables, so I purchased an 8 pin male to 6 + 2 pin male adapter cable thinking that would be sufficient. Unfortunately, that did not fix the issue. What should I do next? Am I supposed to purchase two 6 pin male to 6 pin male cords to connect to the 8 pin male cable that splits into two 6 pin females?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fWwXnH (my ideal build)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796NVNY7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Amazon 8 pin male to 6 + 2 pin male cord)

Solution
Just stop. Please. Take every adapter you bought or found in the gpu box, and put them away. Very far away.

You have a modular psu that came with 4x 6+2pin connectors. That means each connector can be used as either a 6pin (the +2 is unused) or an 8pin (the +2 is used). These cables will plug in directly from the psu to the gpu. Absolutely no need for that stupid adapter ppl keep sticking in the box and making ppl think they need to use.

Think of it this way, an 8pin connector is rated at 150w. A 6+2pin is identical/same thing as an 8pin. So an adapter changing 1x 8pin to 2x 6+2pin is a 150w connector being changed into 2x 150w connectors. Put 300w through a 150w connector and you have a source of fire. Return that adapter to Amazon...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just stop. Please. Take every adapter you bought or found in the gpu box, and put them away. Very far away.

You have a modular psu that came with 4x 6+2pin connectors. That means each connector can be used as either a 6pin (the +2 is unused) or an 8pin (the +2 is used). These cables will plug in directly from the psu to the gpu. Absolutely no need for that stupid adapter ppl keep sticking in the box and making ppl think they need to use.

Think of it this way, an 8pin connector is rated at 150w. A 6+2pin is identical/same thing as an 8pin. So an adapter changing 1x 8pin to 2x 6+2pin is a 150w connector being changed into 2x 150w connectors. Put 300w through a 150w connector and you have a source of fire. Return that adapter to Amazon and get your money back, last thing you want hooked upto a $700 gpu is a $13 Firestarter.

Solution
Jul 30, 2018

Everything in my build is current except for the 1080 GTX. I currently have a 1050 TI that does not require a cable from the PSU to GPU.

Thanks for the warning and luckily nothing happened. Unfortunately, I misplaced or gave away my extra 6 + 2 pin cables and my motherboard is busy using the other cables. All that is left is two 4 pin cables. How should I proceed from here? It does not seem easy to get new cables from Rosewill and the wait would be two or more weeks.