GPU: EVGA 8800GT 512MB $300

ODD: LITE ON 20x DVD/RW sata $48

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GB sata $100 and WD 500 GB sata $190

PSU: THERMALTAKE 500W $80

CASE: some generic tower case

everything listed above except case at $1278
is this a good price or no?

this is my cousin's next build and I haven't looked at his case yet
I told him to wait until the end of the year or at least a few months but he doesn't want to wait
(I think he's currently with a P4 system)
anyway, I need comments on the price of the components (I personally think they are a little overpriced compared to newegg)
my aunt isn't willing to spend more than the $1300 and I want the best bang for the performance under this budget
the parts were selected by my cousin from a local computer shop
I couldn't convince him to order online again (had defect products shipped from newegg last time I helped him order mobo and ram)

any comments on the build are welcome
(if you're not ordering from online, do you think the price is fair? if not, which parts should he replace?)

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Those prices seem high to me, where did you get them, where are you located. If not ordering online you're definately going to overpay.

This power supply is a great deal;
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-520w-sli-certified-modular-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270716.html

I know you can get 2 Gb ddr2 800 ram for $40 after mir, the hard drive for $50, a DVD burner for $30 and this just off the top of my head. I would not let one bad experience change the decision to order on line. Newegg is very good about RMA's and I've never got anything from there that was defective that they would not take care of, you may have the same problem with parts bought at a brick and mortor store. The only draw back to ordering online is shipping which usually doesn't drive the price up that much, if you look, you can also find parts with free shipping, I don't just look at Newegg