Question Please rate and review my build. Please leave suggestions.

Jun 5, 2019
I'm not expert on computers and stuff and also I'm in a not very good country when it comes to technology. And i am on strict budget of 1000-1500usd.

This is the build i'm thinking
CPU
- INTEL I3-8100
MOTHERBOARD
- MSI Z390-A PRO
RAM
-GeIL Forza 2x8gb ram
STORAGE
  • Intel 760p 256gb ssd
  • Seagate FireCuda 2tb sshd
GRAPHIC CARD
- EVGA gtx1050ti

What do you think guys? Thank you.

Also can you reccomend your own custom build for a budget of 1000$-1500$

Last edited:
That's a nice and strong build. I will suggest that you upgrade the PSU to a reputable 80+ Gold one. Also I think a Samsung 860 Evo would be a better choice for the SSD. Other than that, the only things you might want are a decent case fan and an aftermarket cooler for your CPU. Overall it's very good, you should be able to play all games at 1080p max with no problems

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As said, I too think it is good and balanced. I'd second ConanLock's comment about a better PSU. This will work for 1080p at 60Hz.

Although the CPU has no iGPU which doesn't matter as you have a discrete GPU and no hyperthreading but I guess 6 cores is enough for that build. You're not going to overclock so you don't really need a Z series motherboard although they tend to have better SMD components.

You have used almost 75% of your budget and if it's OK I would get a better quality SATA SSD like a Samsung or a Crucial MX.

Also as I see no other storage device on that list I'd suggest a 480GB or even 1TB drive. If this is going to be the system drive where Windows lives and some applications I would say 240GB is not enough. Two installed average games can easily take up 80-100GB of that space.

agn0stix12

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
You could also consider waiting a few months and choosing Zen 2 (Ryzen 3rd gen). Early performance specifications indicate that it is outperforming most all aspects of the equivalent Intel CPUs and pair it with an AMD Vega 56 8GB, which is significantly better than a GTX 1060 6GB and actually a good 50 bucks cheaper. Obviously then you would have to choose a new motherboard too and maybe different RAM if the memory you chose in your build is XMP (I only know of two brands/models that work correctly, at the stated frequencies out of the box). Of course, if Intel is your thing, then it's a great system. But if like me you go for value and performance, rather than always picking Intel (or AMD). Then the few components I suggested should give better performance at a lower price point.

WildCard999

Titan
It's a nice build but for a little bit more (budget up to $1K?) you can do better. I put in a larger/faster SSD, better quality PSU, better GPU & (IMHO) a better case. Since the CPU is locked there's really no reason to grab a Z390 motherboard and the Intel stock cooler is garbage so I put in a good aftermarket cooler that will keep that CPU well within safe temps and be quiet.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($83.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($50.03 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $821.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-06 09:32 EDT-0400

If you wanted to spend more for the build I'd swap out the SSD for the 1TB version and the GPU to the RTX 2070. 750W is more then you need but the price was the same, after MIR as the 550W version. It is a high quality unit with a 10 year warranty.

Reactions: ocer9999
Jun 5, 2019
That's a nice and strong build. I will suggest that you upgrade the PSU to a reputable 80+ Gold one. Also I think a Samsung 860 Evo would be a better choice for the SSD. Other than that, the only things you might want are a decent case fan and an aftermarket cooler for your CPU. Overall it's very good, you should be able to play all games at 1080p max with no problems
if you would rate this pc 1-10 given that 1 is a poor pc and 10 is a high-end pc, what would be the rating?

Jun 5, 2019
As said, I too think it is good and balanced. I'd second ConanLock's comment about a better PSU. This will work for 1080p at 60Hz.

Although the CPU has no iGPU which doesn't matter as you have a discrete GPU and no hyperthreading but I guess 6 cores is enough for that build. You're not going to overclock so you don't really need a Z series motherboard although they tend to have better SMD components.

You have used almost 75% of your budget and if it's OK I would get a better quality SATA SSD like a Samsung or a Crucial MX.

Also as I see no other storage device on that list I'd suggest a 480GB or even 1TB drive. If this is going to be the system drive where Windows lives and some applications I would say 240GB is not enough. Two installed average games can easily take up 80-100GB of that space.
if you would rate this pc 1-10 given that 1 is a poor pc and 10 is a high-end pc, what would be the rating?

Alternative - more core/threads more future proof (but Ryzen 3000 out in 4 weeks)
uprated PSU and 1TB intel storage, better gpu - Keeping your style of case you chose.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $822.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-07 07:45 EDT-0400

Jun 5, 2019
Alternative - more core/threads more future proof (but Ryzen 3000 out in 4 weeks)
uprated PSU and 1TB intel storage, better gpu - Keeping your style of case you chose.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $822.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-07 07:45 EDT-0400
Should i wait for their new series? And can you suggest a good intel build with same budget?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@Jay Erold - it's hard to really give your initial choice a real rating per se. Specifically, everything being great, but with a bad power supply, for example, pretty much ruins the entire thing.

I generally agree with the others, in that you needed more storage, so a larger/better tier of SSD, and the Seasonic power supply is definitely the way to go. I think both the Intel build by @WildCard999 and the AMD build by @ElectrO_90 are great suggestions.

Do you have a monitor? What are it's specs? Resolution, refresh rate, and if it has GSync or FreeSync?

If, for example, your monitor is a 1920x1080 (or lower) resolution, topping out at 60Hz, and you have no intention of going higher resolution or refresh rate anytime soon, then you might even consider stepping down to a GTX 1660 (non-Ti) and saving some money there.

Finally, I do agree on the point that, if you can hold out until after July 7, definitely do so. It'll be worthwhile to see the reviews on the new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.... I'm also hoping there will be SOME kind of further info about the upcoming Navi video cards as well.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

I'm afraid it's not that straight-forward to say, for example, it's a 6 or 7 out of 10.

King_V summed it up aptly. That's the summary of all posts and suggestions in a nutshell.

Your components are good. PSU is low quality and even if the other components are on the extreme of the "high-end" spectrum but the PSU cannot deliver it's pointless and it will die soon and/or take other components with it.

Also it all comes down to the usage. You said you want a gaming PC. That narrows it down a little but there's still things to be clarified. For example at what resolution at what refresh rate you're going to play. I also mentioned getting a better and bigger SSD because that's the only storage you have in your list. If you intend to have just Windows (not many other applications) and just ONE game installed at a time, that 240GB drive MIGHT work and be enough. Although I doubt that in you'll run out of space in a very short time unless you get a bigger storage medium for your files and games etc.

Both Intel and ADM platforms suggested by the guys above are great. I too would suggest, if you're not in a real hurry, wait and see how the upcoming Ryzen series turn out.

pivodrums

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
Can you suggest a good one? I dont really know much about these kind of things.

where are you from?
I would suggest a better known brand for PSU for better stability, opt for cca 600w with bronze efficiency.
Usually better brands are seasonic, corsair, evga, antec, cooler master,...but all brands have lower and higher series.

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
Read what I wrote again. Overclocking does not mean that it will be faster. It means that you can unlock a CPU to its' full potential. Do some research. Look at some overall benchmarks and then say that again.
Again 6 cores will run more smoothly than 4 i had an i5 7400 before which is kinda like the 9400 just 2 years older and different speeds and i had trouble even using discord at the same time as destiny 2. Now i have an 8 core ryzen 7 and i can have 3 games open and discord with no problem. More cores is better than like a 2 percent increase in perfor.ance

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I dont have much experience about building pc. I'm just trying out things. I'm planning to build a gaming pc.
This is the spec of the parts i want to order. I'm on a 1000$ budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBVyGG

Thank you.

As a lot of people here are saying. Just wait few months. There are new cpus, gpus, new ryzen chipset with pcie 4 and coming out soon. You might regret builing your pc now. When in few months, those prices are going to drop. Intel will have to drop them to stay at least little competitive.

If waiting isnt your thing. I would suggest going for 9700K, 6 cores with no threads is going to be problem soon. But it might not fit in your budget.
Then most definintly, ryzen 2600 is the best budget choice.

TRENDING THREADS