Please Rate My Build! (Have I Done Anything Stupid?)

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Hello again Toms!
Hopefully you can help me out as you always do! ;-)

Anyway, this is my first pass at an upcoming build, I am at University now so have had to leave my current PC (i5-2500K and GTX 770) at home as it was technically the family computer :-(

The system will be mainly used for high-end gaming, streaming and a fair amount of computing and CAD software (I am an Engineering student) Could you just let me know if there is anything massively obvious I have overlooked or if there are better alternatives?

Thanks,
Conor

Case - COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED
CPU - Intel i7-4790K
MoBo - ASUS Z97-A
GPU - MSI GTX 970 Gaming (Will be moving to SLI in the future)
RAM - KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST 2133MHz (16GB)
SSD - Samsung 840 EVO (250GB)
HDD - WD CAVIAR BLACK (1TB)
PSU - Corsair 750W CS Series

Solution
PSU - Corsair 750W CS Series is a decent psu for budget builds. This is far superior:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 13:13 EDT-0400

MSI GTX 970 Gaming is a great option for 1080p gaming. Dont forget a new cpu cooler for oc your i7-4790K. This is a good option:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Total:...

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

I suppose this is my own fault for not naming the thread properly.
How do you think the build is as a whole? Have I missed anything, or am I wasting money/performance anywhere?

Thanks for actually replying though :)

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
10/10 IGN.

Grab an Asus GPU

CS series is garbage, grab an XFX 850 as you'll want that extra punch for SLI. Or try your luck with the 750w.

Most else is preference. I would personally get a Maximus VII Hero mobo, and Seagate SSHD.

PSU - Corsair 750W CS Series is a decent psu for budget builds. This is far superior:

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $89.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 13:13 EDT-0400

MSI GTX 970 Gaming is a great option for 1080p gaming. Dont forget a new cpu cooler for oc your i7-4790K. This is a good option:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $28.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 13:17 EDT-0400

Not enough money? Swap CAVIAR BLACK for a more affordable BLUE. Its a secundary storage anyway.

Solution

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Thanks for your help ferwindjacks!

How sure are you on the 850W? I have been reading a fair few threads on multiple forums since the release of the GTX 900 series and there seems to be a bit of a fight going on between 750W and 850W =P

Also, in regards to the SSD, what makes you prefer the Seagate? The EVO was recommended to me a while back by another Toms user :)

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Thanks for your help filippi!

I have actually included the Hyper 212 Evo in my build, just completely forgot to put it in the thread =D
Both you and ferwindjacks have commented on the 750W CS, what makes the EVGA better? They both have 80+ Gold ratings according to the information I have available? :)

Conor

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Even the 770 was a fight between 750 and 850w. I know that Maxwell has great efficiency but it's always good to be in the green rather than skeptical. Just me, try it and if 750 works than great. If not, get a refund.

SSHD and SSD are different. SSHD stands for solid state hybrid drive, where there is a fusion of ssd and hdd. it basically learns what programs you use the most and stores them on the SSD part, everything else on the hdd part. Works out great.

I would recommend the Evo or Pro for straight up SSD. I personally have a Pro since it is technically faster, but some people claim the performance isn't noticeable. That must be what they tell themselves when they regret getting the Evo.

If you go for corsair go with TX,ax,hx psu and avoid the vs,cx,cs and rm psu .
for 750 watt PSu EVGA G2 is one of the best choice available its a tier 1 PSU compared to corsair cs wich is a tier 3 PSU and the G2 has 10 years of warranty.

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Thanks for your help once again! I thought the "H" was a typo on your part, shows how much of a noob I am doesn't it? =D I'll definitely looking into hybrid drives before taking the plunge then!

I shall as you the same question as I asked filippi, what is wrong with the CS series? It has a 80+ Gold rating just like the EVGA PSU he suggested? :)

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Cheaply made components. That's the long and short of the CS series.

XFX and EVGA are tier one, however I believe it is only certain models. The entire XFX series is known for its quality, and would be my personal pick. However, this is an opinion and let it be known many people will tell you different here.

EVGA G2 and B2 are tier 1 and made by super flower but g1 and b1 or else are not that good .

Notrix

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014

I myself being an engineering student would consider a core i3 (4th gen) sufficient for doing stuff without any problem...
Your earlier rig was also very good, but still
if i were you, i wont bother about others review as long as i am getting desired output from my system
PS- 10/10 if you would have ATI radeon r9 295X2
:p

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Looks great! I would have said the i7-4790K is overkill for gaming, but not for CAD programs. I don't see any mention of a cpu cooler, so if you're using the one that came with your cpu I would replace it immediately- it won't cool your chip enough during heavy gaming. Unless you're planning to overclock to the extreme (like 5Ghz), a good choice is still the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I would avoid liquid cooling unless you absolutely need it; the pumps can be noisy, and I personally don't like the idea of liquid in my computer. Be sure to download a cpu temp monitoring program like RealTemp so you can keep an eye on temps when gaming. Ditto for your gpu.