Question Please recommend a program to tell CPU's temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
I have a Dell XPS 8700 with a I have an intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 ghz. I bought it in January 2015. The fan is running nonstop. I cleaned out the dust and plan to change the thermal paste. I would like to check the CPU's temperature before and after I change the thermal paste, to see if it makes difference. Please recommend a free program without malware and tell me what settings to use to check the temperature. Thank you.

I have a Dell XPS 8700 with a I have an intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 ghz. I bought it in January 2015. The fan is running nonstop. I cleaned out the dust and plan to change the thermal paste. I would like to check the CPU's temperature before and after I change the thermal paste, to see if it makes difference. Please recommend a free program without malware and tell me what settings to use to check the temperature. Thank you.

There's lots of good ones. I'm partial to Core Temp simply because it will display temps etc. on the task bar and you can easily see changes while running programs. I find that handy.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
There's lots of good ones. I'm partial to Core Temp simply because it will display temps etc. on the task bar and you can easily see changes while running programs. I find that handy.

Do you have a link to a safe install. Some Internet threads say that it installs bloatware/malware

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Thanks. Before I install that one, I want to talk about HWMonitor. One of the icons is a yellow square. Next to it says: "Intel Core i7 4790." Under that, it says a thermostat icon, next to which it says "Temperatures." In that area, there are "Value," "Min," and "Max" readings for "Package" and four "Cores (Max)." I take it these are the readings I am supposed to be paying attention to.

I haven't done a lot today. I did run a full virus scan earlier. The max values range from 69 C to 64 C. The min values range from 25 to 29. I take it these readings are in the normal range. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.