Please recommend fastest CPU for internet surfing? i changed Core i7 7700K with Pentium G4400 and see no difference.

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Hi,
As the title says I changed Core i7 7700K with Pentium G4400 CPU and see no difference in performance for an Internet browsing and usual work. I am shocked about that. Because i ordered Core i7 8700K and sold my i7 7700K, now i am looking for Z370 motherboard and i use in this time Pentium G4400 one week already. I am sure there is no difference in the speed now in loading web pages, loading Windows 10, etc, also i never play games. May be this is because the rest hardware in PC is powerful. I need the fastest CPU to load web pages. I am using VPN and some add-ons in Opera browser, which slow down my browsing performance, also my job is to be 8 hours on day on internet, that is why is important for me. Even with VPN off no difference between these processors. Also i wonder what is more important for web browsing with a few web pages loaded, no multi-tasking - best Single Thread Performance CPU (i suppose with high clock speed) or to choose the the 6 core 12 threads 8700K? PLEASE RECOMMEND CONCRETE MODEL CPU?
My specs now are ASRock Z170 Gaming K6 Killer LAN, 128GB SSD Samsung 850 PRO + Rapid Mode 7000+ Mbps Read and Write, 64GB DDR4 2400MHz XMP enabled, Sapphire Radeon R9 380, PSU Corsair AX860i, OS Windows 10 latest build optimized for best performance. Internet download speed about 36 Mbps, upload speed about 17 Mbps - i do not want to pay for fast Internet.
Thank you.

Solution

Did you read anything anyone posted?

Your CPU has very little to do with your internet speed. You could buy yourself a $10,000 Xeon and it will still load web pages the same as what you have now.

Web browsing is a light weight task, the prime thing driving its speed? The speed of your connection.

USAFRet

Titan
You saw no performance change in going from an i7-7700k to a G4400, because your usage is a very low power demand.
Regular 'internet surfing' does not require a top end CPU.

Additionally, you have 64GB RAM. A LOT of what happens during that use happens directly in RAM. Of which you have more than enough.

Changing to an i7-8700 will likely not result in any real performance increase.
Paying for faster internet might.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
programs are written to use a number of cores and/or threads... a program written to use 1 core will perform similarly on a single core or a deca core system .. only 1 core is being used, more means nothing. (GHz will affect this result greatly - which is why gamers liked the old i5 instead of i7 because games didnt use hyperthreading years ago and were predominantly written to use 2 or 4 cores)

this is a simplistic way to view what youre experiencing. web browsing is basic windows, thats dual core power at most.... having 4/6/8/10/12 cores will not improve a browsing experience, having a 100mBit isp instead of a 5mBit isp WILL.

web broswing in this current generation of pc is starting to rely on RAM (chrome is the prime example) where it will sit and prefetch all nodes on a page to fake a fast load. (thats download all links on your current page and switch to it when you press the link button/line) the less RAM you got, the slower (more realistic performance of a poor program) it becomes. - yes you can tell i hate chrome ^^.

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Well, then i ordered i7 8700K for nothing. It looks i was mislead, watching many reviews how better is 8700K even vs 7700K. Which CPU to choose now, May be some Core i5 and is it worth to upgrade to 3200MHz XMP ram to get more speed? My Internet provider is greedy and if i go for high speed plan can not downgrade. Will be happy for advice how to get even little more speed on Internet.
Regards.

They only way you will see faster browsing is to PAY for faster service.

There is no other option.

36 Mbps is EXTREMELY SLOW by todays standards, that's only 4.5 MB/s.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, yes. The 8700 is 'faster' than the 7700.
But not worth upgrading, and really not worth it for 'internet surfing'.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Did you read anything anyone posted?

Your CPU has very little to do with your internet speed. You could buy yourself a $10,000 Xeon and it will still load web pages the same as what you have now.

Web browsing is a light weight task, the prime thing driving its speed? The speed of your connection.

Solution

Mine used to keep my room warm in the winter. :D

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

I had Pentium D :)
Good guys were those pentiums :D