[SOLVED] Please recommend some upgrades for my PC

May 24, 2020
Windows 8.1
AMD FX-8320
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 (AM3R2)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA)
CoolerMaster GM Series G650M - 650 Watt
1TB SSD
2TB HDD
1TB HDD

My CPU has been getting very loud lately. I was getting blackscreen when gaming. A change out of the thermal paste has stopped the blackscreen, but it is idling at 50-55 celcius, and games are making it hit 70+.

In which order would you folks suggest I upgrade my parts?

The budget I have listed below is not my overall budget, but how much I can afford to spend in one go, once every couple of months.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: €150-200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video/audio editing, games development, general surfing.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM (can't afford gfx card upgrade atm).

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.komplett.ie, anywhere reputable really.

Parts Preferences: Open to suggestions.

Overclocking: Nah.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Your Monitor Resolution: Currently 1920x1080, probably last on my list to upgrade, but I would like to future proof my new components for 4K. Monitor recommendations not necessary at this time.

Additional Comments: Bling not required. Frequent software: Steam, Cyberlink Pro, Youtube, Reason, Blender, Unity.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My parts are very old, and my CPU is worrying me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
If you swapped then you should just build a new PC. you could probably keep a few of your things like the PSU and GPU and your storage.
A new MB youll probably need a new CPU and RAM.
Then you could sell off the old parts and recuperate some of the money you have spent. i just did a quick google look over for the MB you have and you could possibly sell it and get a more up to date MB for the same price as you sell it and then still have the 150-200 euro to get RAM I saw US sales around $100-200 very large range and the CPU running at $130 and up. Granted your parts are used but this could assist on making upgrades. Get and AM4 MB with a Ryzen 3 or 5 or what ever you prefer and new RAM.

RidiculousRibs

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017
If you swapped then you should just build a new PC. you could probably keep a few of your things like the PSU and GPU and your storage.
A new MB youll probably need a new CPU and RAM.
Then you could sell off the old parts and recuperate some of the money you have spent. i just did a quick google look over for the MB you have and you could possibly sell it and get a more up to date MB for the same price as you sell it and then still have the 150-200 euro to get RAM I saw US sales around $100-200 very large range and the CPU running at $130 and up. Granted your parts are used but this could assist on making upgrades. Get and AM4 MB with a Ryzen 3 or 5 or what ever you prefer and new RAM.

Reactions: Squample
Solution
May 24, 2020
Thank you for your reply, RidiculousRibs. I guess I am essentially looking to build a new PC, while keeping some existing parts. Just looking up the suggestions you made here, and they are all around what I expected/hoped they'd cost each. I can't buy them all at once, so I suppose I'll start with the mobo, CPU after that, then RAM.

Once this pandemic is over and I have my job back, I'll start looking at GPUs, although I think I can squeeze a bit more life out of my 1060.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Yeahhh, I would not worry about GPU at all, it's the least concerning piece of hardware there. You should be looking at finally upgrading to Windows 10, getting at least a Ryzen 3 3200G, good RAM with CL16 timings and a better motherboard to support it.

Reactions: Squample
Hi, from my humble point of view, I would said your GPU can probably give a little bit more performance if paired with a newer CPU. It wont be huge, but should be something that can be visible when gaming.

Sorry but I could not keep the budget, when buying a new platform is almost imposible. This is what I would do today, with the components that are available.

https://www.komplett.ie/msi-b450m-pro-vdh-max/20971259/product

If you are not in a hurry, I would wait till the new B550 motherboards are out (shouldn't be too long) and get one of those instead.

Cheers

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS