Please review my spec: Building a budget PC

iamjokerface

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2015
Hello all,

I recently moved out of my home country for university so I had to part with my PC. I've been thinking of building a new budget PC to use while I am a student.

Could you please check my specs, see if anything is missing, or make any suggestions?

Thank you.

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01
CPU: AMD FX6300 Black Edition
RAM: HyperX Fury 16gb DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: EVGA GTX 750TI
HD: Seagate 3.5in 1TB Hybrid Internal Solid State Drive
Power: Corsair CS450M
Other: Generic Samsung DVD writer, TP-LINK TL-WN822N 300MBPS High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter

Solution
The cm hyper212 is 160mm tall, the carbide spec says 150mm max.
I suggest a cryorig H7 which is 145mm tall.

Past that, you will function ok.

Here are my suggestions:

1. I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games. If you can go 240gb, you may never need a hard drive.

I would defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.
Samsung EVO is a good choice.
Intel 730 is OK too.
The hybrid drives are a niche product that I would avoid.
The nand cache is not really large enough to keep what you need most of the time.

2. The FX-6300 is a reasonable and...
The cm hyper212 is 160mm tall, the carbide spec says 150mm max.
I suggest a cryorig H7 which is 145mm tall.

Past that, you will function ok.

Here are my suggestions:

1. I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games. If you can go 240gb, you may never need a hard drive.

I would defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.
Samsung EVO is a good choice.
Intel 730 is OK too.
The hybrid drives are a niche product that I would avoid.
The nand cache is not really large enough to keep what you need most of the time.

2. The FX-6300 is a reasonable and cheap processor. It is good if you will be running multithreaded apps.
More likely, you will be running something like matlab which is single threaded.
For that, a G3258 with a nice overclock would perform better.
The G3258 is no slouch in games either.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1017-best-budget-gaming-cpu/
The nice thing about a G3258 is that the same lga1150 motherboard can later support a processor upgrade to i3/i5/i7.

3. The Corsair CS/CX units have a poor reputation that I think is a bit unfounded. Yes, they might fail, but Corsair will replace one very nicely.
That said, I would spend a bit more for a quality unit from Seasonic, xfx, or antec.
300w is sufficient, but I would overprovision a bit to 500-550w in anticipation that you might in the future install a stronger gaming card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS