[SOLVED] "Please select proper bootable device" slight hiccup

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi there, I recently did a build for a friend and ran into some slight issues. About 50% of the time when restarting the computer will fail to boot from the SATA III SSD main drive and display the "select proper bootable device" message, I can boot into the drive and OS easily by going into BIOS and either boot-override into the SATA or change nothing and reset PC. The OS on the SATA drive was part of older components (Am3+ board/chip) and I've read migrating boot storage between systems can result in some issues with Windows.

What I have done thusfar:

• Checked, doublechecked, triplechecked SATA port connection to the drive and to the motherboard
  • Swapping SATA port connections
  • Swapping SATA cables
  • drinking
Should a Windows repair take care of it or are there other possible causes for this issue? If I left out information let me know so I can update appropriately.

Current system: Ryzen 5 2600, ROG Strix B450f, 2x8GB gSkill TridentZ RBG DDR4, WD 500GB SATAIII SSD (main), 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD (secondary storage), Corsair CX650M, PNY 6GB 1060

Solution
Certainly a fresh/full clean install (i.,e., delete old installation partition at install menu) with latest media and AMD chipset/mainboard drivers is always preferable to slapping in a transplanted SSD from a previous dissimilar chipset and simply powering on and hoping for the best....
Certainly a fresh/full clean install (i.,e., delete old installation partition at install menu) with latest media and AMD chipset/mainboard drivers is always preferable to slapping in a transplanted SSD from a previous dissimilar chipset and simply powering on and hoping for the best....

Solution

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Gotcha, figured it would be a hardware issue. I'll just bite the bullet and reinstall from scratch