Please Some Advice on Upgrading my Pc

watmore

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I would like some advice on upgrading my pc. I would love to have a high profomance rig able to run anything i throw at it.
i was thinking about running an Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 then down the track going SLI with a 2nd card.
I have also been looking at the Antec KÜHLER H₂O 620 cpu watercooler or a similar cooler. And for a monitor im thinking samsung but i have no clue.
So please give me some advice on upgrading to make a Explosive gaming machine.

Approximate Purchase Date: When i have the money for the Build

Budget Range: $1500

System Usage :Gaming

Parts Preferences: I have always used Nvidia for my GPU's but open to a good argument

Overclocking: Never got around to it but would like the ability.

SLI or Crossfire: SLI But open to a good argument.

Monitor Resolution: Using a 22" Aoc max of 1600x1080 defintly looking to upgrade

My current rig is:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz

Asus M4N82 Deluxe

Gigabyte 9600gt 512 Mb

WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HDD ( WD10EALS)

Asorted 6gb ddr2 ram 3x2gb

Atec nine hundred case

Stock AMD heatsink

SuperFlower Crystal PLUS 800w PSU SF-800K14HE

The first thing that stands out on your current rig is the memory at 3x2GB. The Asus M4N82 Deluxe has dual memory controllers so you should have memory installed in pairs. Curently you are running in single channel mode. Either add a matching 2GB module for 4x2GB, or take one out for 2x2GB.

Water cooling adds to the cool factor, but doesn't perform any better than an air cooler. At Amazon the Hyper 212+ is $30 and would allow you to OC that X4 965 to closer to 4.0GHz.

The GTX 560 Ti would perform well in that system. If you were to add a second GPU I would question the performance of your SuperFlower PSU and would recommend an Antec, Corsair, XFX or Seasonic around the 850w range. Yours is sized fine, but the manufacturer is questionable if pushing it to the limits...

Addressing the memory, further overclocking the CPU, and GPU update would be a solid improvement. You could also add an SSD for your boot / OS drive for another nice upgrade. OCZ Vertex / Agility 3 are the latest / fastest, however the Vertex / Agility 2 are a good budget comprimise.

watmore

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks sadams04 That helps alot... :D

Another thing i forgot to ask is regarding my M4N82 Deluxe i know it is ddr2 only is it worth looking into a new motherbord that suports ddr3?..

If so any sugestions on a upgrade?..

Also have no idea what to look for in ram whether its ddr2 or 3 so any advice would be welcome.

IMHO it is not worth replacing your motherboard just for DDR3 support. DDR3 would be a bit faster, but not enough to warrant spending $100. Systems with DDR2 memory can game just fine.

4GB of memory is fine for gaming so my suggestion would be to take out one 2GB module and see how that goes (it will probably be fine). If you want to buy a set of matching DDR2 modules I would look toward the used market. DDR2 demands a premium from retailers. For example, the GSKILL DDR2 below is $65 and its DDR3 counterpart might draw $40. There are plenty of people trying to sell their older computer parts to try to recoup some costs...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122&cm_re=4GB_ddr2-_-20-231-122-_-Product

FWIW
Gigabyte AM3+ Motherboard $105=> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490
Corsair XMS DDR3-1600 Memory $30 after MIR => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145339