[SOLVED] Please suggest a motherboard for this CPU

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

This CPU is apparently very popular and going to release soon in like a couple of days but my question what's the best ATX motherboard for it?

What are some of the components to look for in a motherboard?

Solution
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

This CPU is apparently very popular and going to release soon in like a couple of days but my question what's the best ATX motherboard for it?

The new 5950X is going to fit into the existing B550 and X570 motherboards - I would suggest looking up reviews of X570 boards (no point skimping on a motherboard with that CPU!).

The main points to look for;
Strong VRM performance (this is the circuit which feeds power to the cpu - better VRM's on the board mean lower temps and more overclocking headroom)
4 Memory channels (some compact motherboards only offer 2 memory slots to save space) - although probably not an issue when looking at X570...
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

If you are planning for 5950x get a 500 series chipset Mobo specifically the X570

Question to keep in mind while purchasing Mobo;
*Is there enough usb port?
*Is there wifi?
*Hows are the VRM's if you plan on oc
*Enough expansion slots?
*No. of M.2 if yes pci e or sata? Maybe gen 3/4 for the nvme ssd
*Audio channles
*Enough ram slots??
*Form factor
*Any brand preferences
*And most importantly if you like the look of it?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

The new 5950X is going to fit into the existing B550 and X570 motherboards - I would suggest looking up reviews of X570 boards (no point skimping on a motherboard with that CPU!).

The main points to look for;
Strong VRM performance (this is the circuit which feeds power to the cpu - better VRM's on the board mean lower temps and more overclocking headroom)
4 Memory channels (some compact motherboards only offer 2 memory slots to save space) - although probably not an issue when looking at X570

Other than that, it's really down to what features you need as different boards offer many different options such as
  • Different numbers of PCIe expansion slots, as well as slots for adding in NVME drives
  • Different numbers of Sata ports
  • Varying configs on USB IO (e.g. some boards offer extra USB 3 or USB C headers for the case and so on)
  • Networking options - some boards offer integrated Wifi, Bluetooth as well as different wired networking ports like 1gig, 2.5gig and so on
  • Additional RGB headers and Fan Connectors

The Hardware Unboxed youtube channel have a pretty comprehensive set of reviews on the range of available X570 motherboards.

Edit: This vid might be useful:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRUhtMs9Ok

It's from a year ago as the X570 series of boards came out for the launch of Ryzen 3000, however AMD aren't launching new boards for this generation.

Reactions: Pcgolfer07
Solution

TRENDING THREADS