[SOLVED] Please suggest CPU

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, Guys,

I am trying to use up some of my surplus parts and build a mid performance itx system. I have, on hand, an NIB Corsair SF600 PSU, an NIB Thermaltake Core VI case and can buy new from B&H a new Zotec gtx 1070TI for $409!! Is there a better price/performance GPU out there? And what Intel CPU would y'all suggest? I will be giving this to my nephew for his birthday, btw.

Please advise so I can pull the trigger on that GPU....or not if it is a bad idea!

Warm Regards,

Larry

Solution
Ironically enough, I just researched this very CPU for someone else. I'd suggest a used 9600K. unless you were thinking something more beefy. Seems a nice pair. Selling for $150 on Ebay. Perhaps even slap it with an OC if the mobo/cooler is up to the task. Based on price data, the 1070 Ti for $409 is a great deal. I'm seeing used cards selling for that amount - if not slightly higher.

Good luck with the build

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Ironically enough, I just researched this very CPU for someone else. I'd suggest a used 9600K. unless you were thinking something more beefy. Seems a nice pair. Selling for $150 on Ebay. Perhaps even slap it with an OC if the mobo/cooler is up to the task. Based on price data, the 1070 Ti for $409 is a great deal. I'm seeing used cards selling for that amount - if not slightly higher.

Good luck with the build

Solution

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Well, DRAT! Thanks for the recommendations NameChanged! But I have joined the long line of GPU bargain hunters: B&H sold out between the time I posted and you responded....guess I had better trust what my 'tummy tells me' next time!

Warm regards,

Larry

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure I would recommend an i5-9600K, even at $150. For $155 you can get an i5-10400 or 10400, under $200 you can still get the 11400 as well. Quite a difference having hyperthreading on six cores these days.

As for a GPU, just keep hitting the Newegg shuffle everyday. Eventually get something. RTX3060 are a little overpriced, but not horrendously so.

g-unit1111

Titan
Not sure I would recommend an i5-9600K, even at $150. For $155 you can get an i5-10400 or 10400, under $200 you can still get the 11400 as well. Quite a difference having hyperthreading on six cores these days.

As for a GPU, just keep hitting the Newegg shuffle everyday. Eventually get something. RTX3060 are a little overpriced, but not horrendously so.

Yeah I agree, no reason to pay money for a CPU that's now 3 (almost 4) years old. You can get more for less by going with a Ryzen 3600X for around the $200 mark if they're still available.

For me the best price / performance CPU on the market is the 5600X but that might be a bit over budget. If you're willing to run onboard graphics until better GPUs are available, you could always get the Ryzen 5600G.

Last edited: