Please suggest something Hard Core

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I was a bit disappointed how Crysis 2 became more "console" like and dumbed down compaired to Crysis 1.
Anyway, the point is, please suggest a FPS and RTS that's made for the PC, requires skill and the user to THINK before shooting. Not something intended for a teenager using his Moms computer.

For example, I liked FarCry2 and SC2 (also Galactic Civilizations ][ and Skyrim BTW). But more serious gamers told me those are not very hard-core.

So, what will you suggest? Something that takes time and care to master.
Ok, thanks!

Solution
I feel like we're on the same page. I also loved FarCry2, and you won't find many people that do. ;) I would go so far as to place it in my top 5 FPS of all time.

STALKER (especially SoC and CoP) are superb games, but you REALLY need to play them modded......as in, don't even try to play them without the mods. They can be buggy as hell without them, and they look and play SO MUCH BETTER with the mods.

To get the simplest, closest to the actual original game, but without bugs and 10X prettier mod, just download the "Complete Mod" for any STALKER you buy (they made one for all three games). There is a "Realistic Weapons" add-on for the Complete Mod that is also completely necessary, because you'll feel like you're shooting...

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions! I was beginning to feel depressed.
Metro 2033/34 (Last Night) and Stalker 1/2 sounds like a good place to start.
Hope the stealth gets fixed in Metro.

You will be correct assuming I will hate Gears of War.

I think my GTX 680 can handle your suggestions (with some minor detail lowered). :D

There are three stalkers so far, shadow of chernybol, clear sky and call of pripyat, the on/off stalker 2 is hopefully out this year.

There are mods for all three to make them prettier and do some AI work, but they are thinking shooters which seems to be what you are after.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I feel like we're on the same page. I also loved FarCry2, and you won't find many people that do. ;) I would go so far as to place it in my top 5 FPS of all time.

STALKER (especially SoC and CoP) are superb games, but you REALLY need to play them modded......as in, don't even try to play them without the mods. They can be buggy as hell without them, and they look and play SO MUCH BETTER with the mods.

To get the simplest, closest to the actual original game, but without bugs and 10X prettier mod, just download the "Complete Mod" for any STALKER you buy (they made one for all three games). There is a "Realistic Weapons" add-on for the Complete Mod that is also completely necessary, because you'll feel like you're shooting paintballs in SoC without it.

I'm looking to the European developers for mature FPS titles. The Ukranian and Russian developers seem to have more mature stories and gameplay aimed more towards adults. With Metro: Last Light, and hopefully STALKER 2 coming out in the near future, I at least have a couple of games to look forward to.

FarCry3 appears to be continuing its theme of open-world sandbox-style gameplay, but it looks like they're taking the story in a much more adolescent direction. Bummer. I'm sure I'll still get it and give it a run.........as someone who loves this type of FPS gameplay, there is very little to choose from anymore.

Another game you may or may not like is Deus Ex: HR. As long as you play it on the hardest difficulty, it certainly isn't a run 'n gun game. For some reason this title didn't hold my attention, though. I just really got bored with it.......didn't really like the homogenous, dull art direction of the game, and the story didn't really grab me on any level either (and I got totally sick of hacking computers). I can see how some people might really like it though. STEAM throws it up for really cheap every now and then so it may be worth a try for you.

Solution

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Arma II(very hardcore), Metro 2033 is fun, if you have not played crysis warhead pick that up as well. In the RPG side, Risen 2 is coming out toward the end of may, it was developed by piranah bytes who developed gothic, so that should be promising. Diablo 3 is coming out soon, Sniper ghost warrior 2(fps) is on its way and apparently uses CryEngine 3 to its "full" potential, it will be a PC exclusive(CE3 kinda turns me off, so im personally waiting on some solid reviews before I pull the trigger on that one).

Barbie Fashion Show
http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Fashion-Show-Pc/dp/B0001BR9O8

Serious, what exactly do you mean by:

But more serious gamers told me those are not very hard-core.

Are you talking about blood, guts and gore? Galactic Civilization I and II are pretty hard core strategy games because it can take you a while to work out a master strategy especially when you start increasing the difficulty level.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent can be considered a very hard-core survival horror game since in order to survive you only have two choices: run and hide. There are no weapons in that game and playing the game in a dark room or at night can help draw you into the game.

http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main

Carbon steel is pretty hard-core.

*insert rageface*

Anyway as suggested, STALKER is great. I suggest going straight to Call of Pripyat but do what you want.

Metro 2033 is awesome, though I don't know that I'd call it hardcore.

Crysis 1 is amazing. Definitely worth a play.

Cryostasis is a game most people have not heard about, but it's awesome.

I just finished Alan Wake and that was quite good, though I don't know that I'd call it hardcore.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a horror puzzle game... awesome. You can try it's predecessors too, Penumbra 1 and 2.

BTW I don't know what kind of friends you have, but SC2 multiplayer is extremely hardcore...

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.
I finally decided on Call of Pripyat (skipping the early versions of Stalker) as a mature shooter. I'll also take StringJam's advice and get the MODs. (Paid only $20 on Steam)
I was looking at Metro 2033 - and I do value high-tech photorealism, but I can see myself trying to get OUT of the underground - like I was trying to get out of the office space in FEAR.

Farcry2 and SC2 I knew I will like for example and I did. Others like Ghost Recon ][ GRAW tactical shooter just came with a video card and it became one of my the most favorate games ever.

I don't know much Arma II, Risen 2, and Sniper 2 . I'll watch out for them later and they may be wonderfully good unexpected surprise. :D