My first build got spoiled with incompatible parts :(
please help

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
DDR4 memory, correct
B450 chipset motherboard supports DDR4 memory
GTX 1660, PCIE 3.0, b450 motherboard should have a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot

Nothing wrong here, just missing the name of the motherboard. I suppose it could have SO-DIMM slots rather than full length, but that isn't likely. Doesn't implicitly say this RAM is intended for an AMD build, however, you can always look up the compatible list at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Missing CPU, Powersupply, Storage...can't really say much more.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Can you elaborate? What happened?

You've listed a B450 motherboard, with no further specifics..... a Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super and a 1x8GB DDR4 3200MHz.

They're all 'compatible', in the strictest sense.... but you haven't listed a CPU, which makes the B450 and DDR4 an unknown quantity. And no PSU, meaning we're no further forward.

Nov 4, 2020
Memory - HX432C16FB3/8
Motherboard B450
GPU - GV-N166SOC-6GD

please help
DDR4 memory, correct
B450 chipset motherboard supports DDR4 memory
GTX 1660, PCIE 3.0, b450 motherboard should have a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot

Nothing wrong here, just missing the name of the motherboard. I suppose it could have SO-DIMM slots rather than full length, but that isn't likely. Doesn't implicitly say this RAM is intended for an AMD build, however, you can always look up the compatible list at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Missing CPU, Powersupply, Storage...can't really say much more.
Processor- ryzen 7 2700
Psu - Corsair CV550
Motherboard- Msi b450 tomahawk max 2
Gpu - Gigabyte gtx 1660 super 6gb ( model no. give above)
Memory- HyperX fury 8g ddr4 3200mhz ( model no. given above)

I'm really stucked in a weird problem - motherboard showing solid VGA led and won't post. I did try nearly everything and at last I got to msi webpage of supported gpu's and to my surprise there was every single gpu was msi's which was under motherboard' QVL and i was so confused and desperate for solving this issue so I thought it has to be related with compatibility but I saw some builds with msi motherboard but with different gpu vendors and now I'm far confused than I was before, please help

Nov 4, 2020
Can you elaborate? What happened?

You've listed a B450 motherboard, with no further specifics..... a Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super and a 1x8GB DDR4 3200MHz.

They're all 'compatible', in the strictest sense.... but you haven't listed a CPU, which makes the B450 and DDR4 an unknown quantity. And no PSU, meaning we're no further forward.
Specs given in replay above
Do you think my gigabyte gpu is incompatible with msi motherboard, cause I've just noticed gpu is getting quite warmer and fans spinning, even 6+2 pcie connectors have power going ( checked with multimeter) but still VGA debug led lit up and no display, please help, waiting

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I got to msi webpage of supported gpu's and to my surprise there was every single gpu was msi's which was under motherboard' QVL

I have never heard of a GPU QVL for any motherboard. With retail boards (ie not OEM), if it's a PCIe card it there should be no compatibility issues - Especially for something of a similar release date.

Do you think my gigabyte gpu is incompatible with msi motherboard,

No.

cause I've just noticed gpu is getting quite warmer and fans spinning, even 6+2 pcie connectors have power going ( checked with multimeter) but still VGA debug led lit up and no display, please help, waiting

Has this system ever worked?

You've confirmed the GPU is fully seated in the PCIe slot? Power connectors are fully seated?
Do you have another GPU available to you to try? Have you reseated the CPU?

Nov 4, 2020
Has this system ever worked?
No, it is unbooted first build
You've confirmed the GPU is fully seated in the PCIe slot? Power connectors are fully seated?
Yes, I reseated gpu and checked power connector multiple times, they're connected.
Do you have another GPU available to you to try?
Unfortunately no, I'd have to go to local repair
Have you reseated the CPU?
I did
Still no display :(

Last edited: