[SOLVED] pleassssse help me!

Oct 3, 2021
ok
so I have a Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 2133 MHZ KHX2133C14D4/8G
it does have an XMP profile which clocked at 2133 14-14-14-35 and its working great
but I did manage to run it at 2400 14-14-14-35 no problem and it's working great right now
now I'm thinking of getting another 8 GB stick of the same ram that I have but it's impossible to find in the past few weeks
can I pair it with a Kingston HyperX Fury 2400 MHZ HX424C15FB28 ?????
also, my other concern is my own ram is dual rank or dual-sided DIMM and the 2400 MHZ one is single rank
my rig
i3 10100
gigabyte H410M S2H
GTX 970
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 2133 MHZ KHX2133C14D4/8G
please please check the part number for me and tell me can I pair these two sticks together or I'm completely screwed?

Solution
Bit of a crapshoot. As long as a second DIMM has tighter timings than you're running with the first there's a good chance the looser timings will work for both, but far from a guarantee.

However, the 2400MHz kit is CL15 and you've got your existing DIMM (stable?) @ CL14. Best case, they work... but at CL15, the worst common denominator.

I can't find HX424C15FB28 widely for sale via a quick Google search, but based on prices in my location (Canada), the 2400MHz 1x8GB is more expensive than a single 1x8GB 3200MHz or much the same as you can find a 2x8GB 2666-3200MHz kit for.

If it's super cheap (or free), it's worth trying. If it's a decent cost, you'd be better off just replacing your 1x8 with a 2x8GB retail kit.
Oct 3, 2021
No one can tell you for sure if they are going to work together.
The best you can do is match the specs as well as you can and try it and hope for the best.
That being said....when I mix memory I have success about 80% of the time.
thanks
the only big difference between them is one of them is single rank and the other one is double rank
is that a problem?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Bit of a crapshoot. As long as a second DIMM has tighter timings than you're running with the first there's a good chance the looser timings will work for both, but far from a guarantee.

However, the 2400MHz kit is CL15 and you've got your existing DIMM (stable?) @ CL14. Best case, they work... but at CL15, the worst common denominator.

I can't find HX424C15FB28 widely for sale via a quick Google search, but based on prices in my location (Canada), the 2400MHz 1x8GB is more expensive than a single 1x8GB 3200MHz or much the same as you can find a 2x8GB 2666-3200MHz kit for.

If it's super cheap (or free), it's worth trying. If it's a decent cost, you'd be better off just replacing your 1x8 with a 2x8GB retail kit.

Solution

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hello! Hopefully I can help you out here!

So, typically mixing memory is OK. Different model numbers will not overclock the same of course, so they will act differently, and one may perform better overall than the other. The main thing to do is try and match memory off of the following specs:
  • Latencies: listed as numbers such as '18-22-22-42 '
  • Frequencies (not as important as long as timings are the same)
  • XMP capable (just helps with compatibility)
Also, I did a search for the model number you referenced, and couldn't find a thing. I suggest that you download and run HWiNFO in order to verify the product number, etc.

HWiNFO64: Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS

Let us know if the model number is accurate, but other than that, you should be OK. Hope this helps!

Oct 3, 2021

I can run my own at 2400 cl15 or even 16
so there is no problem with mixing a single rank and a double rank DIMM together?
it should work fine if speed and latency match. right?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
so there is no problem with mixing a single rank and a double rank DIMM together?

No inherent problems in simply mixing single & dual, to the best of my knowledge.
Same caveats as ever though, even mixing two otherwise identical DIMMs, not sold as a 'kit' has the potential for problems & incompatibility (however small the chances are).

I believe there's a best practice as far as installing the dual rank DIMM in the 'first' useable slot (will be detailed in your MB manual, I'd think) and the single rank in it's matching channel slot - but not 100% sure on the rationale for or impact if you do the reverse.

Oct 3, 2021
No inherent problems in simply mixing single & dual, to the best of my knowledge.
Same caveats as ever though, even mixing two otherwise identical DIMMs, not sold as a 'kit' has the potential for problems & incompatibility (however small the chances are).

I believe there's a best practice as far as installing the dual rank DIMM in the 'first' useable slot (will be detailed in your MB manual, I'd think) and the single rank in it's matching channel slot - but not 100% sure on the rationale for or impact if you do the reverse.
my motherboard only has 2 ram slots{Gigabyte H410M S2H-i3 10100}
how much should I be worried? because I'm about to buy it.
you seem like an experienced person

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Honestly, I think you'll be good man. As long as you can verify once you have it installed that the 2 unidentical RAM sticks are working in 'Dual-channel mode', that's what you're looking for more or less.

Just as a general concept, mixing RAM is not a horrible idea. If you have the cash, you can just buy a full kit if you're super worried about it. This would eliminate the threat of having a mismatch

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

I can't give you a percentage chance etc, it might work fine, it might work with issues, it might not POST. It really is a crapshoot.

Before you buy..... how much is this 1x8GB DIMM in your local currency?

Oct 3, 2021
I can't give you a percentage chance etc, it might work fine, it might work with issues, it might not POST. It really is a crapshoot.

Before you buy..... how much is this 1x8GB DIMM in your local currency?
the 2400 MHZ HyperX fury is 34-35$ but I live in Iran so that's a lot of money to spend on something that might end up in a landfill

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
the 2400 MHZ HyperX fury is 34-35$ but I live in Iran so that's a lot of money to spend on something that might end up in a landfill

So 1.4-1.5m Rial? Do you have a specific website? Or are you looking at local stores?

Assuming prices are not crazy high in Iran (and $35 for 1x8GB DDR4 doesn't seem so), I can only assume you can find 2x8GB for maybe $50-$55.

That way, you can be confident of compatibility & then sell your 1x8GB to recoup some cost.

If $35 is all you have to spend, then maybe there's a better option to supplement your existing with.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If this were an AMD system and outside of seasoned ability to manually tune timings I would recommend against it. For Intel I say with a great deal of certainty that it should work and will likely be able to match (as someone else above said) the loose timings to get speed, if any difference at all.

It's not unusual to see models become harder to find, or similar but faster as the platform matures. Given the speed you are looking for it might be worthwhile to see if the used market has something to offer in a 2x8GB set, if such exists there.

Oct 3, 2021
So 1.4-1.5m Rial? Do you have a specific website? Or are you looking at local stores?

Assuming prices are not crazy high in Iran (and $35 for 1x8GB DDR4 doesn't seem so), I can only assume you can find 2x8GB for maybe $50-$55.

That way, you can be confident of compatibility & then sell your 1x8GB to recoup some cost.

If $35 is all you have to spend, then maybe there's a better option to supplement your existing with.
yes about that much and I'm buying it from a website

price is crazy high in Iran and a 2x8GB is about 110$
sure that's a good way if I had the money for it but right now I don't and I really need it

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
yes about that much and I'm buying it from a website

price is crazy high in Iran and a 2x8GB is about 110$
sure that's a good way if I had the money for it but right now I don't and I really need it

Ok then. Another avenue to consider, is 2x8GB (from the 1x8 you're looking at) would have a better chance of 'just working', so $35x2

Are there cheaper 1x8GB modules on your website? If so, buying two of those might be the better way to go, if the money works for you.

Otherwise, it's definitely worth a shot buying the DIMM you mentioned.... you'll probably be fine. But nobody can tell you in good conscience that there's zero chance of problems.

What do you need 16GB for? Are you finding you're maxing out 8GB? Dual channel would certainly be a performance gain in most applications, but if money is tight and the ~$35 is not something you can afford to lose if problems appear, it's probably a good time to sanity check if you truly need it.

Oct 3, 2021
Ok then. Another avenue to consider, is 2x8GB (from the 1x8 you're looking at) would have a better chance of 'just working', so $35x2

Are there cheaper 1x8GB modules on your website? If so, buying two of those might be the better way to go, if the money works for you.

Otherwise, it's definitely worth a shot buying the DIMM you mentioned.... you'll probably be fine. But nobody can tell you in good conscience that there's zero chance of problems.

What do you need 16GB for? Are you finding you're maxing out 8GB? Dual channel would certainly be a performance gain in most applications, but if money is tight and the ~$35 is not something you can afford to lose if problems appear, it's probably a good time to sanity check if you truly need it.
I couldn't find mine in stock in the several past weeks and the website that selling this ram has only one left and I just ordered it because like you said like it or not it's my best bet
yes I work with premier and after effect and I keep getting problems and ram usage is almost always above 90% usage
so yeah I need both performance and capacity
I don't know since when ram became so hard to find in here