Plenty of light, dark back ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddiFish

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
OK, I have a Canon SX260 HS point and shoot. It takes good photos but at times, I have trouble with contrasting back grounds. I grow peppers and like to take photos as they progress from seedlings to mature plants. When I take photos of them under lights, the actual seedlings get drown out by the dark soil back ground with the camera set in AUTO mode. I don't really know what all the other settings are for or how to use them, but is there an easy way to set the camera so that the seedlings don't get drown out.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
IMG_0002_zpsltf0rirx.jpg

Here is a shot of the controls on my camera. Can anyone tell me how to set it so that I can get a good detailed photo of the seedlings.
2016-03-01_182608_zpsr5cxrwvm.jpg

Solution

You'll have to just live with it. The minimum you need to understand is framing, picking an angle, exposure compensation and how to light your subject. None of the subjects are terribly hard to get started on, but if you don't want to put the time into learning them then there's nothing that can help you short of asking a photographer friend to set up the camera for you.

Golfis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
It has to do with the dynamic range capabilities of your camera. Unfortunately it is not something that can be explained in one sentence. My advice is to either put your camera in manual mode and read your manual about how to effectively use it or rotate the dial to "P" mode, press the "func set" button and then scroll up, in order to select spot metering instead of evaluative.

FreddiFish

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
I tried the P - Spot Metering and that didn't seem to work any better.
As far as manual mode goes, it is just too many different setting which I have no idea about what they are talking. Just seems like a guy should be able to manually and easily change the exposure so that the brighter green becomes the optimum exposure instead of the dark soil back ground.

That has NOTHING TO DO WITH DYNAMIC RANGE! In fact, the posted image has a very narrow range. The only issue is oversaturation and exposure, neither of which can be fixed without knowledge of photography

FreddiFish

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Guys, I just wanted a specific answer to my question. I don't want to take photo classes and I don't want to read through a manual that talks about all kinds of things I am clueless about. Every time I look at the manual, it creates 5 more questions I have to research. I have too damn many hobbies taking up my time as it is. I just wanted to know how to take better photos in the specific situation I described. If it requires "Taking Lessons", then I will just live with it.
Thanks though.

You'll have to just live with it. The minimum you need to understand is framing, picking an angle, exposure compensation and how to light your subject. None of the subjects are terribly hard to get started on, but if you don't want to put the time into learning them then there's nothing that can help you short of asking a photographer friend to set up the camera for you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.