Plex Server upgrade

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I am currently running a windows 10 plex server/PC I do some super light gaming on it. Harthstone, ect.

My components are:
CPU: Intel I3-4130T 2.90 3 LGA 1150 Processor BX80646I34130T - Stock Cooler
MB: Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel Z97N GA-Z97N-WIFI
RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
PSU: EVGA 430 W1, 80+ WHITE 430W Power Supply(100-W1-0430-KR)
HD: 120 Gig Solid State drive (OS only).
Array: 4 - 3tb Western digital Reds in a raid 5 array.

My issue is when I stream (transcoding) lets say 3 HD streams I do notice some lag one (stream will be running fine on one device while another is dropped). I'm pretty sure its not the array slowing me down but the CPU. My memory seems to be fine plenty of head room. I see that Plex recommended minimum requirement is an i3 or equivalent. I am wondering If I should upgrade my CPU and what i should upgrade to?

Thanks for you help!

Solution

Yes if you are going to be streaming externally and need to transcode have it in a playable format help as than if anything a 720p video had to be transcoded down to 480p, but what same format, it's less work. That's the key with plex. Is using the most compatible format, and seems you found it.

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Well when I am home I may watch something on my local network and my Fiance will be at the gym and streaming on her android phone, and my parents will also be streaming from outside my network on their Roku. I'm not exactly sure what i have it set to exactly. I think I have direct play set for my internal network. But mainly I just let Plex do its thing.

ah because streaming native formats that the host device supports is just sending a file, trancoding is whole new ball game.

You could also have the Fiance run Kodi with the plex plugin. Kodi can play about every format known to man, and then wouldn't have to transcode.

Unless you are setting bandwidth restrinctions, than i think it will transcode outside the network. Been a while since I setup plex. lol.

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

So would you recommend I upgrade my CPU. I would rather not set bandwidth restrictions.... Well maybe on an android device since 480p is plenty resolution. But I don't believe Plex allows specific users bandwidth restrictions just an over all blanket restriction from the main Server device.... or maybe its per device Ill have to look. lol its been a couple years for me since I set it up as well.

UPDATE: Ok I just looked i have it setup to restrict down to 2mbs 720p on outside networked devices. So its probably trans coding everything out side.

steelraptor1

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Hello jrrdmchls.
I been running plex for a year now. And I offered some advice to another who was similar in your problem. I will give you the link and hope my advice can help. If not I'll do the best to help trouble shoot your problem.http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3357444/deciding-development-server-plex-server-nas-combo-setup.html

Yes if you are going to be streaming externally and need to transcode have it in a playable format help as than if anything a 720p video had to be transcoded down to 480p, but what same format, it's less work. That's the key with plex. Is using the most compatible format, and seems you found it.

Solution