PLEXTOR 740A NOT READING RECORDABLE MEDIA..HELP!

fstmajor

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Just had a baby and everyone is begging me for pictures from my digtal camera. Problem is out of no where, my plextor 740a isnt reading any recordable media.

I'm running a new build system with a dual core Pentium, almost a gig of ram, good nvidia card. The DVD burner reads regular data disks (programs and games) and autoplays them fine.. but when i just try to either use roxio or just the windows xp sp2 burn method, my system just sits there while not recongnizing the blank cd-w or dvd-r.

Guys please point me in the right direction!!!

fstmajor@yahoo.com

First of all, don't post your email.... unless of course you like the idea of your inbox filling up with lots of credit card and mortgage applications every day.

Second, Have you tried checking for an updated version of Roxio, or perhaps tried a different burning program? I know you said you tried the one built into XP, but I don't consider that a burning program because it sucks so bad, and the options you get aren't exactly varied...

Edit: You could also copy the pics to your computer's hard drive, save as JPEG's and email them to the people that want them. Burning the pics to a disk isn't necessary, unless some of those people don't have internet connections.

fstmajor

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Ok..kudos on the email advice.. i agee

But that doesnt help or explain why my dvd drive isnt recongnizing recordable media.. :roll:

Try reading the rest of my post.....

I asked whether or not you had checked for an updated version of Roxio or not.... Roxio may not fully support your burner on earlier versions. I checked the specs and your Plextor burner appears to be a fairly new model.

fstmajor

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Ok.. checked the roxio updates via the program menu... none available.. Will take your suggestion on other burning software to see if that works..

If say another two dont work, should i do something to the drive.. I'm learning new terms via this forum as i investigate...

If other burning apps don't work, you could try looking for firmware updates for the burner. Make sure you only get new firmware for the drive from the manufacturer's website, and follow ALL directions provided on how to flash the burners firmware.

fstmajor

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Well... Roxio still doesnt work.. even with the firmware update.. again a cd-r and dvd+r still dont read.. just regular cds.

What sort of good FREE recording software is out there that I could use?

I really dont want to have to invest in recording software until I get this problem solved..

Plus, i have alot of boxing tapes i wanted to put on dvd via my computer so you can see why i would like to resolve this.. Would any $99 package at the local Comp USA store do?