Plextor M5 Pro 256 GB Review: 19 nm NAND And Marvell's Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]can we have a benchmark of the time it takes to install a fresh copy of Win7+SP1 on a SSD ? Because thats the first thing a user will do after buying a new drive.[/citation]

I believe we can all assume it will take around 10-15 minutes. My old SATA2 Vertex drive can have Windows installed with all the Windows updates I want in around 20 minutes, it would be less time but I have to install all my drivers first for my motherboard :p

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I was on Youtube the other day on the Corsair channel and they were showing the advantages of 'Ram cache' which was lights years faster then SSD's in therms of throughput. Could Toms consider doing an article into Ram cache as I think it would be of interest to people who have 16-32Gb systems (since DDR3 is cheap at the moment) can spare the extra system ram to cache files and software.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Here you go: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/665?vs=646[/citation]
Wow. The 840 Pro beat the M5 Pro in virtually everything according to that data. The 840 Pro does cost significantly more though.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]I was on Youtube the other day on the Corsair channel and they were showing the advantages of 'Ram cache' which was lights years faster then SSD's in therms of throughput. Could Toms consider doing an article into Ram cache as I think it would be of interest to people who have 16-32Gb systems (since DDR3 is cheap at the moment) can spare the extra system ram to cache files and software.[/citation]
TheSSDReview did something similar:
http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/romex-fancycache-review-ssd-performance-at-13gbs-and-765000-iops-in-60-seconds-flat/

No point in even comparing RAM to SSDs, as even "slow" RAM is faster than even the best SSDs by about the same amount as the best SSDs are faster than floppy disks.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
This review would have been impressive if it was published 2 weeks ago. With the 840 Pro out, it simply blows the M5P out of the water. Too bad it wasn't included in the benchmark charts here.

KenZen2B

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
merikafyeah 09/28/2012 2:41 PM Insert quote.
-1+ .
JeanLuc :

I was on Youtube the other day on the Corsair channel and they were showing the advantages of 'Ram cache' which was lights years faster then SSD's in therms of throughput. Could Toms consider doing an article into Ram cache as I think it would be of interest to people who have 16-32Gb systems (since DDR3 is cheap at the moment) can spare the extra system ram to cache files and software.

TheSSDReview did something similar:
http://thessdreview.com/our-review [...] onds-flat/

No point in even comparing RAM to SSDs, as even "slow" RAM is faster than even the best SSDs by about the same amount as the best SSDs are faster than floppy disks.

I have read the article and have these thoughts on the subject.
1) Why have mobo manufactures not placed an extra four memory slots on their mobo to handle this concept ?
2) Why have RAM manufactures not teamed up with mobo manufactures to supply them with 256 GB memory sticks ?
3) Has the industry, video and others, (movies, ads, special effects, cartoons, simulations, etc.) moved to this type of strategy to increase their productivity ?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]KenZen2B[/nom]merikafyeah 09/28/2012 2:41 PM Insert quote. Report -1+ .JeanLuc :I was on Youtube the other day on the Corsair channel and they were showing the advantages of 'Ram cache' which was lights years faster then SSD's in therms of throughput. Could Toms consider doing an article into Ram cache as I think it would be of interest to people who have 16-32Gb systems (since DDR3 is cheap at the moment) can spare the extra system ram to cache files and software. TheSSDReview did something similar:http://thessdreview.com/our-review [...] onds-flat/No point in even comparing RAM to SSDs, as even "slow" RAM is faster than even the best SSDs by about the same amount as the best SSDs are faster than floppy disks.I have read the article and have these thoughts on the subject.1) Why have mobo manufactures not placed an extra four memory slots on their mobo to handle this concept ?2) Why have RAM manufactures not teamed up with mobo manufactures to supply them with 256 GB memory sticks ?3) Has the industry, video and others, (movies, ads, special effects, cartoons, simulations, etc.) moved to this type of strategy to increase their productivity ?[/citation]

1) mobo manufacturers would have nothing to connect these RAM slots too. They need DDR3 controllers and they'd need more of them, so where are those going to come from? The only thing that I can think of is some sort of integrated PCIe device and it would make the motherboard quite expensive.

2) 256GB memory sticks would cost thousands of dollars. Even 16GB memory sticks and especially 32GB memory sticks can already be extremely expensive and difficult to make. We can't just make chips that have more memory capacity in a given size than current memory procces nodes can work with, so any such memory module with 256GB of RAM would be huge, to say the least.

3) It's too expensive.

Basically, cost is the main inhibitor for all three of your questions.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Maybe it's for the best that they don't release the Limited Edition Shuriken model worldwide.
Some people might be tempted to throw their SSDs like tech ninjas.

g00b

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I think the first page meant Flash instead of DDR.

"... reviewed previously uses 25 nm synchronous NAND from Micron and Marvell's 88SS9174-BLD2 controller, while the M5 Pro employs 19 nm Toggle-mode --DDR-- from Toshiba and a more modern Marvell 88SS9187-BLD2 processor."

G

But how does the M5Pro compare with the Corsair Neutron GTX ?

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Luciferano has already commented, but I thought I'd make input on the first point. There are mobos with an extra four slots, enabling up to 64GB of RAM (such as the ASUS P9X79 PRO) but these are uncommon and expensive. Higher RAM capacities under today's technology will almost always require you to be using server hardware; the PC form factor just won't cut it.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Tough to decide between this and VT4 but if Samsung 840 is out by this weekend then I'm grabbing 2 and raiding them. Sweet God Speed!

latosha poindexter

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
can we have a benchmark of the time it takes to install a fresh copy of Win7+SP1 on a SSD ? Because thats the first thing a user will do after buying a new drive.

[citation][nom]latosha poindexter[/nom]can we have a benchmark of the time it takes to install a fresh copy of Win7+SP1 on a SSD ? Because thats the first thing a user will do after buying a new drive.[/citation]

That's not representative of how the drive will perform for most of its life time, so that'd hardly be any more useful than synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.