Plextor M6e 256 GB PCI Express SSD Review: M.2 For Your Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
lots of empty space on that PCB and its only a half height card. Maybe its possible we can see multiple TB PCIs SSDs in the consumer space or they may just restrict it to enterprise.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Who keeps telling you there is no demand for M.2 drives?

I bought a Lenovo Y410P shortly after they were released (and was incorrectly told it had mSATA not NGFF/M.2 for the SSD), and have been waiting over a year for a decent M.2 drive to put in it.

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
How much does it add to boot-time with its bios loading stuff? Other PCI-e cards add as long as a 1-2 minutes to boot time.

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

The drive itself has no wasted space. The bridge board has plenty, being that the drive is only 22mm x 80mm.

Regards,

Christopher Ryan

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

It adds all of about a second. You'll never notice, and based on UEFI settings, you might never even see the Plextor op-rom splash screen at post.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

On the desktop, the demand for M.2 storage is not very high yet. In laptops, SATA M.2s are in high demand, but there isn't much reason to have a pure M.2 native PCIe Phy drive in a desktop yet. The M6e we looked at is built around the AIB bridge board, and thus isn't detachable from the M.2 drive itself, so despite the M.2 drive at the heart of the board, you still really can't buy a M.2 native PCIe drive yet. And even if you bought a M6e, ripped it out of the bridge board, and installed it in the Lenovo -- it probably wouldn't see more than a single lane of connectivity.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

If you remove the SSD drive from the PCI-e adapter board, will it work in the new Z97 motherboards, in the M.2 slot?
BTW: I know it will void the warranty.

I posted the same question in the forums, and got an answer: NO!

If I wish to use a m.2 SSD, it looks like I'd have to get a Crucial M550 m.2 SATA SSD. No PCI-e SSD's available yet!

EDIT: 06/11/2014 - BTW, YES it will work. Mine does! And it uses the 2 PCI-e channels. My Z97 mobo sees it with no problems! That's what I'm running now.

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I believe this type of product will kick the mSATA drives to the curb before these can become popular. Won't be the first time I've seen this, though. A technology released, then quickly superseded for another.

Will be great to have these for notebooks, though an adapter will be needed for current releases, negating any performance gains. Because this option isn't dependent on, nor was designed for, a SATA 3 port. A true PCI-e port will be needed.

Who said that the PC was dead, again? We have every reason to keep them very much alive.

Cat

cryan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Probably not this, since it's a M.2 PCIe SSD mounted in a half height/half length desktop add-in board. Technically, it's not a M.2 product. Removing the drive from the board kills the warranty, though Plextor is planning on releasing a M.2-only version for Z97 mobos and the few compatible laptops (there are very few that it'd work in).

Chances are, if the laptop has the capability to use x2 or x4 PCIe M.2 devices, it already has something as fast or faster installed.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.