Plextor M8Pe Series SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Plextor launched an aggressive attack on the NVMe market with the new M8Pe that comes with three various cooling options and a plethora of capacities. The series uses Toshiba 15nm MLC flash to ride the performance wave and provide high endurance.

Plextor M8Pe Series SSD Review : Read more

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I'm looking for 512GB NVMe M.2 ( currently on PCIe, later directly on the mobo ), so which one is better 960 Evo or M8Pe ?

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Straight from the review.

lextor targets the gaming market with the M8Pe series, but most users shop based on price rather than some type of misaligned category designed to classify and group users together. There are several premium priced products in the 1TB capacity, but only a few break the existing pricing structure to deliver a product with more value. At this time, there are two products that meet these parameters, but only one is actually shipping. The Samsung 960 EVO 1TB will retail for $470.99, but it doesn’t have a firm release date. The Plextor M8Pe sells for $414.99 to $429.99, and it is available now.
Plextor managed to undercut Samsung's pricing this round with MLC flash. The 960 EVO uses TLC flash, but Samsung’s 3D V-NAND delivers MLC-like performance during many consumer workloads. The application tests show the M8Pe outperforming the 960 EVO under light use conditions. That accounts for a majority of typical user workloads. In the end, the Plextor M8Pe is a better product for many users, it’s already shipping, and it costs less.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Wow. I knew heatsinks on SSDs were on its way once the speed difference between companies were minimal. Now after they all have fancy heatsinks all that's left is for them to add RGBs for bling factor, well not full RGB, first they will start small with red leds to target the ROG suckers, oops I meant the ROG enthusiasts. then they may add an option for customer to change it to blue or green. Then full RGB after they can make any more money from rehashing the same crap over and over.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know, I argued this when normal ssds were used, now i have to argue it again.

In the battery life and real world performance can we please get 1 traditional hdd, and now 1 traditional sata 3 ssd so we can see the results for a point of comparison because when you put everything that is in the same class right next to each other, it does not help seeing if its a benefit to you to upgrade at all, all I am able to gather from this is synthetic loads make some ssds look better but real world, not a bit of it matters.

ihateregister

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
"The Plextor M8Pe sells for $414.99 to $429.99, and it is available now." Except.. it's sold out, and the newegg ad says $650. Ouch.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015

Sadly I don't dictate consumer SSD prices and I can't update the reviews each time a price changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS