Plextor M8Se NVMe SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
This is really disappointing. I've held Plextor in high regard for the last few years so it's a shame this thing is around to soil it's reputation.

The review indicates that it's professional SSD still performs quite well. Maybe Plextor never intended for this new drive to win any awards.

Good review.

You’re not quite Samsung enough.
You’re semi-Samsung.
You’re quasi-Samsung.
You’re the margarine of Samsung.
You’re the Diet Coke of Samsung just one calorie, not Samsung enough.

In all fairness, Plextor is just playing their part in the race to the bottom.

Because they have the fastest most power efficient NAND due to being able to make it themself.

Most other companies order the NAND from a 3rd party supplier and add their own custom firmware for flavor.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Does 'Plextor' actually make anything themselves? I mean all they did 20 years ago was flash upgraded firmware on other peoples optical drives and change the front bezel.

Faslane1966

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
I dunno. Plextor hasn't been the greatest name in tech for a while now (not to be confused with God awful Maxtor) but I'd still be wary of these until more reviews and tests come out. Just me personally. They haven't been in the SSD business long at all if ever that I've seen.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Man they went from the m8pe being on top in some benchmarks and competitive in others to the bottom with the m8se. WTF did they do....

TLC garbage is not good for consumers!

On top of that the se going for $290 for 512gb nvme version on newegg as of this post. Last month i got a m8pe for $215(tho this was a sale price). $75 more for less performance ouch.

Ive had good luck with plextor ssds the last few years. Never a problem, which is why i got a m8pe over a samsung 960. But, i wouldnt touch the m8se.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
To DAGLESJ and FASLANE-
To the best of my knowledge PLEXTOR is now owned by Lite-on.
So expect some high quality gems (Plextor) and some general
purpose drives designed for OEM market (Lite-on)

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
TLC is garbage, stop push these garbage on to us. SSDs have gotten worst and worst over the years. Now they want us to use QLC soon. Over my dead body. I'll hold on to my MLC BPX till I die.

Status
Not open for further replies.