Plextor vs Crucial

Ike_

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I am going to be buying this laptop

and before I use it I'm going to replace the HDD with an SSD for obvious reasons. But I'm stuck on which of these two I should go with.

Crucial
Plextor

I current have a Crucial M500 in my desktop thats been my boot drive for around two years now and has never hiccuped, but that Plextor has higher speeds and more storage so its tempting. Which SSD do you think is better? or would you recommend a totally different one? Yes I'm cheap so my price range is sub 150$

Solution
Plextor earned a reputation as the Rolls Royce of optical drives. Bulletproof with every feature under the sun, but incredibly overpriced (like $80 when DVD drives were selling for $25).

I haven't taken a close look at their latest SSDs, but their previous models included nifty features like a SRAM cache to speed up read/writes, capacitors to keep the SSD powered for a couple seconds in the event of a power failure to give it time to flush the write cache, and using MLC NAND in SLC mode for the initial write to speed things up. They performed near the top (at the cost of slightly higher power consumption due to the SRAM) and were priced correspondingly higher too.

Personally I would go with Samsung because of their lower power...

IronTaurian

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
I have never used Plextor so I cant comment on that but I have personally only had bad experiences with crucial. Have had 3 crucial SSD's that have failed on me within a few months of use. I currently use the Samsung 850 EVO and have not had any issues with it. Have also tested Samsung Evo 750, which is cheaper then the 850 and that works well too. Both have great speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&cm_re=samsung_evo_850_500-_-20-147-373-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147568&cm_re=samsung_evo_750_500gb-_-20-147-568-_-Product

Hope this helps :)

Plextor earned a reputation as the Rolls Royce of optical drives. Bulletproof with every feature under the sun, but incredibly overpriced (like $80 when DVD drives were selling for $25).

I haven't taken a close look at their latest SSDs, but their previous models included nifty features like a SRAM cache to speed up read/writes, capacitors to keep the SSD powered for a couple seconds in the event of a power failure to give it time to flush the write cache, and using MLC NAND in SLC mode for the initial write to speed things up. They performed near the top (at the cost of slightly higher power consumption due to the SRAM) and were priced correspondingly higher too.

Personally I would go with Samsung because of their lower power consumption, but I mostly use laptops. Without researching that particular model SSD, I'd be inclined to give the nod to Plextor over Crucial. Crucial has been reliable in my experience (even the M500 - they rolled out the firmware fix before mine had had enough use to brick itself), but performance has always been lackluster. That was an acceptable trade-off when the price difference between a 120GB Crucial and a 128 GB Samsung was like $100 vs $150. But today, I'd just pay the extra $10-$20 for a better performing drive. Even though the difference is slight.

Solution

Ike_

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll go with the 850 Evo.