plexwriter 16\10\40

G

i've read this on the plextor site:
"• ATAPI interface: DMA should be set to ON in operating system. IDE controller must be set to PIO Mode 4 or DMA Mode 2. Refer to your motherboard manual on how to set PIO Mode or DMA Mode."
can i do this with my motherboard....it's a DTK...with the 440LX chipset...PII233...?

G

Don't worry about the IDE controller.

First disable ULTRA DMA mode in the bios for all the drives.

Then, in Windows 9x, go to control panel, system, device manager.

There select your CD-ROM drive, propieties, config, and check the DMA enable box.

Repeat the above procedure for your Hard Disk and your CD-RW drive.

G

thanks....
u said"First disable ULTRA DMA mode in the bios for all the drives"
how can i do that?
FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE

G

While I reset and have a look at it, RTFM of your mainboard.

G

All right, enter the bios and go to integrated peripherials.

There you will find something similar to IDE Primary Master PIO, and something similar to IDE Primary Master UDMA. Depending on how many PCI IDE controllers your motherboard has, you will have more options like the ones above.

Set the PIO to the highest one available, my highest one is 4, and set the UDMA to disable.

Now you'll be done.

G

If you have a slow computer like mine dma mode makes a great difference.

With DMA burn proof doesn't kick in at 12x recording, without it will take my computer 30 minutes to burn a cd.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

G

?????
sorry.....i didn't really get your point......do u enable DMA or not???

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not enable anything nowhere, I just burn the CDs, just yesterday I got SOF game in 5.5 minutes at 12x (did not want to push it to 16x) with CloneCD. No burn proof, no DMA, just plain "burn it, sucker"... hehe
I do have P3800@900 on it though...

K7 + KT7A + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

G

I would not try that on my Pentium 200 mhz MMX.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why not... main thing is yer hard drive to be able to supply the data to the CDRW. Just try it, otherwise you will not know it... and leave the PC alone while it writes, it should be fine.

G

I have tried it. My ADSL modem does not allow me to enable DMA mode. Every time I want to burn a CD, I have to disable my modem and enable DMA.

When I try to burn without DMA mode, it will record 3% of the CD, stop for 10 seconds, and so on. So it's slow as hell. And when it stops to read the data and refill the buffer, the computer does not allow me to do anything, it hangs till the buffer is full again.

It's very annoying.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it is a driver issue (and the harddrive too), what software are you using with CDRW and what speeds you are talking about. With p2 233 there should not be any problems to burn CD with 4x, 6x speeds. Anything higher will require fast harddrive, which you dont have as I understand.
Just be more specific what you are trying to do and what problems you are getting.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by blah on 02/23/01 03:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I've got a Pentium 200 MMX, and a 8.4gb 5400rpm Ultra DMA 33 Seagate. The HDD is fast enough, I have tried every software in the market (Easy CD Creator 4, WinOnCD 3.8, CDRWin...).

When I enable DMA mode, I can burn at 12X without Burn-Proof kicking in.

As far as I am concerned this is not a driver issue.

My problem is that MF 3Com HomeConnect ADSL Modem PCI, which does not allow me to boot Windows when I enable DMA.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So, are you able to burn without DMA, and if yes, what speed? That's why I said that without DMA enabled you can burn at 4,6 without any problems. It is 12, 8 minutes more than 12x, but no problems with DMA.

G

DMA disabled:

I can burn at about 4x using any software when I copy from the HDD to CD and CD to CD.

Using CD to CD copy using CDRWin I can burn data at 12x and audio at 8x.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, I would be happy with that, heh, and I just read the manual, they say that 200 Pentium and 64 megs of ram is minimal system to go with the writer. So I figure that what you have should be fine, and if you wouldn’t have the problem with DMA and yer modem, you would be fine in did. I usually write “important” cds on 4 or 6x anyway, just to make sure its done “slowly but surely” at the first time, so if I were you I wouldn’t worry too much, if you’ll get faster CPU and will experience the same thing, then I would say it’s bad, otherwise, enjoy the “speed”, hehe :smile: .