[SOLVED] pls help can my pc handle two 8gb ram?

Oct 20, 2020
Hello!

I have Intel core i5-2500, DDR3 4gb, 32bit, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 530.

i was wondering if its okay to add another ram which is 8gb or if i should just change it and add two 8gb (16gb) ?

i need to be able to use Animate and Illustrator for my class. (I cant open Illustrator in my pc right now but Photoshop already work for me so) pls i tried to understand how this works but its confusing and i think there’s a lot to consider

Thank you!!

Solution
ah yes, then what should i do to get 64bit? does it mean that i have to buy RAM first before upgrading it into 64 bit windows?
Are you postive that you have 32 bit Window ?
First think first, from where did you get your Windows ? Was is preinstalled on an OEM computer (HP, Dell something like that) or did you purchase Windows yourself ?
I am pretty sure that if you purchased a retail version yourself, you can simply download the 64 bit Windows and use the same key (license) you have.
If it is an OEM version coming from these big brands, I THINK that you have only a license for the 32 bit version (if it is what you have). And than you have to purchase a new license for 64 bit version.
After installing the 64 bit version you...

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Hello!

i was wondering if its okay to add another ram which is 8gb or if i should just change it and add two 8gb (16gb) ?

i need to be able to use Animate and Illustrator for my class. (I cant open Illustrator in my pc right now but Photoshop already work for me so) pls i tried to understand how this works but its confusing and i think there’s a lot to consider

Thank you!!
what motherboard do you have?

Hello!

Thank you!!
What do you mean by "32bit" ? Do you have a 32 bit Windows ? In that case Windows 32 bit is limited to 4 Gb of RAM; it doesn't see more.
But with a 64 bit Windows you should be able to put much more on your motherboard. If this is your motherboard
it supports 32 Gb of RAM (4 sticks of 8 Gb - DDR-3 1333 MHz

Reactions: Skylar222
Oct 20, 2020
What do you mean by "32bit" ? Do you have a 32 bit Windows ? In that case Windows 32 bit is limited to 4 Gb of RAM; it doesn't see more.
But with a 64 bit Windows you should be able to put much more on your motherboard. If this is your motherboard
it supports 32 Gb of RAM (4 sticks of 8 Gb - DDR-3 1333 MHz
ah yes, then what should i do to get 64bit? does it mean that i have to buy RAM first before upgrading it into 64 bit windows?

Last edited:
First think first, from where did you get your Windows ? Was is preinstalled on an OEM computer (HP, Dell something like that) or did you purchase Windows yourself ?
I am pretty sure that if you purchased a retail version yourself, you can simply download the 64 bit Windows and use the same key (license) you have.
If it is an OEM version coming from these big brands, I THINK that you have only a license for the 32 bit version (if it is what you have). And than you have to purchase a new license for 64 bit version.
After installing the 64 bit version you can add your RAM.
Note that you'll have to do a complete fresh install of Windows 64 bit, and after that you'll have to reinstall all your application software. Be ready for that.
It is not possible "to change" a 32 bit installation into a 64 bit.
And of course YOU WILL HAVE TO BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILE YOU HAVE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Reactions: Skylar222
Solution
Oct 20, 2020
After installing the 64 bit version you can add your RAM.
Note that you'll have to do a complete fresh install of Windows 64 bit, and after that you'll have to reinstall all your application software. Be ready for that.
It is not possible "to change" a 32 bit installation into a 64 bit.
And of course YOU WILL HAVE TO BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILE YOU HAVE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

i just checked it and yes i have an OEM version.
So,
purchase 64 bit > install it > then add my RAM

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! You’ve been a great help!

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Just FYI: If you've got an OEM key present on the computer's case, you can reuse that for the 64-bit version as well. You don't need to purchase a new license unless you lost your old one.

In fact, on 10, you should just be able to install the 64-bit version and it'll automatically activate without even needing to type the key. I did just that on a Lenovo ThinkPad. The reason this works is because on 10, as soon as the key is used (whether you or the OEM did it), it associates that hardware with the key and you can reinstall all you like and it'll still activate, regardless of it being 32- or 64-bit.