Question Pls help first time pc builder im confused gpu wont work with 8 pin on

Jan 16, 2021
so im a first time pc builder and dont get alot of things so i need help. my gprahpics card fans stop working after i connect the 6pin, but when i disconnect the 6 pin the fans start spinning. Is this normal? i dont feel like it is.

Nov 17, 2020
Need a little more info. Some cards the fans only come on when they need to (depending on curve).

What GPU have you got? Which motherboard and power supply?

By stop working, you mean the fans or the display?
Did you at any moment have a display in the monitor?
If you had display (of course it would be with the 8pin connected) and the fans weren't spinning, it's not a problem as most GPUs have a fan stop feature, which stops the fan up to a certain temperature threshold.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Jan 16, 2021
If you had display (of course it would be with the 8pin connected) and the fans weren't spinning, it's not a problem as most GPUs have a fan stop feature, which stops the fan up to a certain temperature threshold.
your right in both ends. i havnt gotten display yet or the fans arnt spinning when i put the 8pin on. but if thats normal for it not to spin with the 8 pin on then ig ill keep it on

Jan 16, 2021
GPU: GEFORCE RTX 2060

Nov 17, 2020
GEFORCE RTX 2060 is a generic chipset for the GPU. There are a range of models from different manufacturers (MSI, ASUS, Zota, Palit to name but a few). We are trying to determine exactly which card you have.

Nov 17, 2020
so, from the spec of this card:

"
3D ACTIVE FAN
The 3D Active Fan provides semi-passive cooling, and the fans will remain off when the GPU is in a low load or low power game. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle.
"

GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

So, when you have the 8-pin plugged in, does you GPU work when you boot?

Reactions: F1rstTim3PCbUilder
Jan 16, 2021
so, from the spec of this card:

"
3D ACTIVE FAN
The 3D Active Fan provides semi-passive cooling, and the fans will remain off when the GPU is in a low load or low power game. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle.
"

GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

So, when you have the 8-pin plugged in, does you GPU work when you boot?
well because its my first time i plug my hdmi from my gpu but i get no display.

Sep 5, 2020
If the 8 pin isn't connected you should be presented with a message telling you to connect the power connector and the pc won't post/boot!

I know with my old 2060 the fans would spin briefly when the pc was powered on then stop. They would stay off until I put the GPU under load.

I would imagine when the power connector isn't connected the fans come on because of a failsafe mode.

Maybe the problem lies somewhere else with the build.

Sep 5, 2020
If I unplug the power connector from my GPU and power on the machine a message is displayed on the screen telling me to connect the power supply to the GPU. If your not getting no display at all either your monitor isn't connected properly or you machine is failing to post because of another problem elsewhere. Are you getting any beeps when you power on?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS