Question Pls help first time pc builder im confused gpu wont work with 8 pin on

Jan 16, 2021
so im a first time pc builder and dont get alot of things so i need help. my gprahpics card fans stop working after i connect the 6pin, but when i disconnect the 6 pin the fans start spinning. Is this normal? i dont feel like it is.

By stop working, you mean the fans or the display?
Did you at any moment have a display in the monitor?
If you had display (of course it would be with the 8pin connected) and the fans weren't spinning, it's not a problem as most GPUs have a fan stop feature, which stops the fan up to a certain temperature threshold.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Jan 16, 2021
If you had display (of course it would be with the 8pin connected) and the fans weren't spinning, it's not a problem as most GPUs have a fan stop feature, which stops the fan up to a certain temperature threshold.
your right in both ends. i havnt gotten display yet or the fans arnt spinning when i put the 8pin on. but if thats normal for it not to spin with the 8 pin on then ig ill keep it on

Jan 16, 2021
GPU: GEFORCE RTX 2060

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
GEFORCE RTX 2060 is a generic chipset for the GPU. There are a range of models from different manufacturers (MSI, ASUS, Zota, Palit to name but a few). We are trying to determine exactly which card you have.

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
so, from the spec of this card:

"
3D ACTIVE FAN
The 3D Active Fan provides semi-passive cooling, and the fans will remain off when the GPU is in a low load or low power game. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle.
"

GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

So, when you have the 8-pin plugged in, does you GPU work when you boot?

Reactions: F1rstTim3PCbUilder
Jan 16, 2021
so, from the spec of this card:

"
3D ACTIVE FAN
The 3D Active Fan provides semi-passive cooling, and the fans will remain off when the GPU is in a low load or low power game. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle.
"

GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

So, when you have the 8-pin plugged in, does you GPU work when you boot?
well because its my first time i plug my hdmi from my gpu but i get no display.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
If the 8 pin isn't connected you should be presented with a message telling you to connect the power connector and the pc won't post/boot!

I know with my old 2060 the fans would spin briefly when the pc was powered on then stop. They would stay off until I put the GPU under load.

I would imagine when the power connector isn't connected the fans come on because of a failsafe mode.

Maybe the problem lies somewhere else with the build.