PLS HELP FX 8350 + hd 7870 low fps?

Greg645

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hey there.I dont know if this is how it should be but im getting like 45 average fps maxed out in skyrim,far cry 3 at 1280x1024 resolution (dont have full hd moniter yet) which i think is pretty low fps considering its not even hd resolution.And from few benchmarks i saw it should be more then that.My hdd is VERY bad it got like 6mb cache idk if that could cause low fps.My gpu drivers are updated.So please if anyone could answer.It would be much appriciated.Thank you.

My PC

Motherboard :ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cpu : AMD FX-8350, 4.0GHz
Gpu : ASUS AMD Radeon HD7870-DC2TG-2GD5-V2 2GB
Ram: Corsair Vengeance XMP DIMM 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3, 1600MHz
HDD : No idea what it is..its old and BAD
Power Suplly :550w its new but idk brand.

xichen2004

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I think 550 watt is on the limit if not too less, depending on the efficiency. Assuming yours is not over clocked it idles at 95W and full load at 213W (if over clocked; not sure about turbo, it can go upy to 320W+). the 7870 can take as much as 250 to 300W no problem. so just with that, i think your psu needs to be upgraded.

Rammy

Honorable
550W is fine for the vast majority of single GPU systems, as long as it's good quality.
Total system power draw isn't likely to be much over 300W, which means any solid 500W+ has plenty of scope.

What would be good to do is attempt to isolate the problem, as any advice people offer you will just be speculation.
I would suggest that you run the games in question at different resolutions and different details to see how much of a performance delta you create. Lets say you turn all the detail options down, but don't get an increase in fps. To me, this would suggest that something is causing an artificial bottleneck, which might well be your HDD if its on its last legs. If you can produce a significant performance hike by fiddling with settings then it's more likely to be related to something like CPU/GPU, perhaps overheating.

Greg645

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I did as Rammy have suggested and tried few tests with settings.

With skyrim it went like this :

Lower Resolution : Same FPS

Lower Settings : Constant 60 FPS

Far Cry 3 :

Lower Resolution : Same Fps

Lower Settings :Gained 60 FPS

But im not sure what does this rly mean..

Rammy

Honorable
It's a good start. What this means is that its pretty unlikely to be a PSU or HDD issue.

With the power of hindsight, it's possible that because you are already playing at what is considered a pretty low resolution, lowering it further won't produce noticable results.
For Skyrim, it suggests you have Vsync enabled if you are at a constant 60fps.
Far Cry 3 is just very demanding if you try to turn all the settings on.
What I would do is check exactly what settings are giving you rubbish performance. While intuition would suggest that at that resolution a HD7870 would have no issues, it's possible that high levels of AF, MSAA or FXAA are crippling your performance. It might just be a simple case of settings tweaking.

hotshot2797

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Mate I also had the EXACT same problem with my FX 8350 and a 7950. I was getting 20FPS in Crysis 2. I found out that my drivers(AMD Catalyst) needed an update. After that I started seeing the Difference immideatly, Averaging a 90FPS.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
The low IPC of bulldozer is showing its true colors hear. Lower resolution=more strain on the CPU. CPU ain't keeping up. Try overclocking your FX and see what happens.

hotshot2797

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013

Mate,It's not bulldozer its Piledriver!

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Apologies that's what I meant. Either way Piledriver didn't do much on the IPC end of things. %95 of the performance increase came from increased base clock.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
First of all..

FacrCry 3 does better on Intel CPUs than it does AMD CPUs. That being said I don't think it is the cause of the issues you're experiencing as per: ( http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page6.html )

According to these Tomshardware tests ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,3379-5.html ) it would appear that with high-Quality options turned on... the Radeon HD 7870 can become a bottleneck in Far Cry 3.

It would appear to perhaps be a 7870 issue.

The only other thing I could think of would be your power supply. Could you perhaps check the namebrand stick on the unit itself?

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

I find that hard to believe considering i even get better frames running at 1080 with my shitty set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9BuAXLK04

Has OP updated BIOS and all drivers? it might possibly be PSU. I'm suprised 550w even starts with those components in it.

Rammy

Honorable

MSAA is what cripples it rather than detail. If you try and turn every setting to the maximum then Far Cry 3 will start to slow on almost any system.

Also pretty much all single GPU setups can run fine on a 550W PSU, as long as it is decent.