RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hello,
I am new to these forums and i come here in need of help =(.

I have recently bought a new mobo and cpu. installed the 2 items, formatted and all tha good stuff. everything worked great for about 2 days. now my sytem runs slower than my old system. which is driving me crazy! the new system is an amd x2 7750 be 2.7Ghz cpu, and the old was an amd sempron running at 1.6Ghz.

When i start the system, the loading screen for windows takes forever. and then when i try to play a game like World of warcraft, it will often lockup in the loading screen of the game. nothing is overclocked. the chipset seems to be very hot, although im sure that is normal. if i turn off the system and let is sit for a while it seems to ok for a bit then pulls the same tricky little "HAHA" act of taking forever and locking up.

I know that this sounds like an overheating problem but nothing is over heating. all temps are in perfectly fine zones.

anyways, heres my set up......

Mobo: Biostar A760G M2+

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE

GPU: Geforce 9500GT Verto

HDD: WDC 320G

PSU: Dynex 400w

PLS PLS PLS, i beg of you for your help. if you have any further questions, or i have not provided enough info, pls just ask and i will tell you. i am desperate at this point, and contemplating buying a gallon of gasoline and having a PC bonfire.

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
well there is lots of different amps that are listed on the sticker. the power supply supports the multi core processors. which amps on the sticker are you asking about?

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
1. Bad hard drive
2. Inadequate power or bad PSU
3. Overheating (maybe)

Start ruling these out

I checked biostar's webpage for temp monitoring software but no luck(cheap whores), maybe someone can recommend a freebie utility for RockyJ?

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005

Not sure that it is actually power...unless the psu is a piece of crap.

The 9500GT doesn't require additional power.

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
^ +1, I use Avast! too and I love it, lightweight and effecient great support team fast updates and best of all LOTS of shields like Email, Internet, Instant Messaging, Standard Sytem Shields. Great AV program IMO. That Dynex PSU i searched up shoes 2, 12V rails with 14A on one and 15A on another. This totals 29AMPS. Looks like it might be inadequate. This is pretty much a generic PSU because Dynex is NOT a special PSU manufacturer. Go with something like Corsair. Even that Corsair 550W PSU will do you well. Go Corsair or PC Power and Cooling.

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Ok, well let me say this, the power supply worked fine for about a week, the whole comp worked fine, now im having all these issues. is my mobo failing? is my CPU failing? is maybe the PSU failing? as ive stated before, im ready to burn this mother down and jump on it while its burning. I really appreciate all the info that you have all given me.

another thing, how ouwld i know if my hard drive is bad?

also when it does freeze up the led on the front stays lit up, like its computing but like i said, its frozen. not sure if that help any.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007

No, you do not add the current on each rail.

You need to find the power rating for the combined rails and divide it by 12v.

viper200

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
check ram how much ram have u got if u have more than 1 ram stick pull 1 out and let it it run then try the other stick
it could be any number of problem i doubt its overheating
also try
Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

check for errors

i don't think its hard drive related but u never know

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Sorry i must have forgotten to put that in the original post. i have 2Ghz of DDR2 ram. 1ghz for each stick. and on top of that i have already checked the ram as you have suggested, well by taking out one stick at a time and trying it. I am currently formatting and reinstalling windows to see if maybe that will fix the problem. god i hope it does.

If someone could confirm whether or not i have inadequete power coming from my power supply that would be awesome, as i have no idea and cant find anything on the net about it.

Once again i have an AMD X2 7750 BE CPu and a Biostar A760G M2+ mobo, with a Dynex 400w PSU , the model number on the PSU is DX-400WPS if that helps to identify the PSU.

ANd again i would like to thank everyone who has replied with answers.

thanks =)

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Did you load the onboard video drivers before installing the GeForce card? If so check in control panel that you have unloaded any driver or driver related software. Also download latest video driver for your video card from Nvidia. Uninstall current drivers and install new ones. If all else fails try Windows reinstalation with video card in the slot. Make sure that the on-board gpu is properly disabled when card is seated or turn it off in the BIOS if there is a switch.

Also make sure you have only one virus package loading. Long loading times are usually driver related. Hardware problems such as over-heating, RAM or HDD in BSOD or disk checks. PSU is not super, but has enough beef for your current config, but if you up the gpu to something with a bit more grunt, it will need to go. Again this is more likely to jump out of the game with random reboots rather than freezes. Freezes, although they can be caused by hardware failure, they are in most cases driver related.

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
yes i meant GB on the RAM. my bad.

And as far as all the drivers. they were all done correclty, i actually just did a fresh install of windows on the computer, and it still is taking forever to load windows. and everything else. the game that i play is world of warcraft, and once the game is actually loaded everything is great. although its the loading that has the problems. on the reinstall i didnt even load the drivers for the onboard video, just the ones from Nvidia. all drivers are up to date, but it just seems like the CPU is lagging or maybe the RAM, i really dont know at this point. Im guessing i just have to break down and take this PoS to someone for them to look at it. Sux having to pay for someone to look at it and say, oh thats whats wrong. then i have to replace the faulty item.

If anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. sorry for asking and asking about this, its just very frustrating, and i appreciate all the feed back.

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
There might be other potential software-related causes so windows reinstall with say newest nvidia drivers is his best option (with the onboard disabled if possible as was mentioned). Actually you should install windows first and then install servicepack3 immediately after (if not inlcuded in the original install) even before video card drivers. windows updates may cause various problems when applied to old system.

Let us know Rocky if it helped or not.

If it does not help it's more likely PSU problem although the power provided seems sufficient there may be a problem with it (is this 'dynex' some recognizable brand or maybe it's a oem crap not even providing real 350W?) Look at axeon post: he's probably right although BRANDED 450W PSU should also be fine (for now, not later)

Next guesses: hard-drive problem, mobo problem (assuming that memory and temperatures are ok)
actually what stress temperatures do you really have Rocky (check after playing some 3dgame or running some 3dmark for some time) ?

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
..so this is more like hardware problem. if the temps are really ok (not faulty sensor on the mobo) it still might be PSU ...or hard drive (long loading)
what model number do you have ? (WDC 320G) - is it SATA or maybe old ATA ?

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
its model number is * pulls out box from closet * WD3200JBRTL and i believe that the connection type is EIDE? i know its not sata. its a farely new HDD. And after all benchmarking the temps are all fine, CPU is below 40C. its really just the loading thats a problem, like i said that once the game is going, everything is fine.

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
also i forgot to mention that the temp of the HDD is higher than that of the CPU, not sure if that is something that is normal or not.

and sorry, im newb

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
if the hdd is above 50C it may not be normal... you have ATA/EIDE and in that case check whether it's working in proper ATA mode
do it by rightlicking on my computer>manage>device manager> IDE/ATA controllers on the right and check primary/secondary IDE channel > advanced setting tab> current transfer mode (you should know on which IDE channel you have your HD and if primary or secondary mode)
so post here what mode it's stated there (all of them if youre not sure which is your HD)

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
also: anyone suggest some windows-based HD diagnostics for Rocky (for SMART etc)...maybe HD Tune ?

HINT: if you get a break with WoW for some time it may also be healthy (for the PC and YOU :) ..unless it's an addiction already?

TRENDING THREADS