PLS HELP IM GOING NUTS!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
ok i come up with 2 "primary IDE channel" listings, when i clock on themm i come with a Device0 and Device1 listing, there are 2 transfer types in the drop down menu, one is "DMA if available" and the other is PIO Only.

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Man..not the drop down menu! the "current transfer mode" below!
But probably that device that has "DMA if available" is your HD (so on the same IDE cable you have a dvd/cd drive?)

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
lmao, a break with wow. thats funny. the PC gets a break from wow when i sleep =)

its really the only game i play and ive been playing for over 2 years, so i would go ahead and say that its an addiction already =(

its funny that the priority lvl after a reinstall of windows is firefox, antivirus, then wow.

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
the current transfer mode says not applicable. and yes i do have a dvd drive on the same cable, only because my mobo only has one ide cable slot, which i though sucked. is that bad? and is it bad that it says not applicable for the current transfer mode?

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
also on the secondary IDE channel its listed as being ultra DMA mode 4 for device 0, and Ultra DMA mode 5 for device 5

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
that's weird because you first wrote you have two "primary IDE channel"
anyway so you must have two connectors on the mobo and just one cable ? and you have it connected to the second IDE connector which is "secondary IDE channel" -that's logic and in this case you have proper ultra DMA mode (5 probably)

although it's recommended to have DVD on separate channel/cable (and the HD on the end of the cable as 'master' if on the same cable with DVD) it would not be a reason as you didn;t change this and it was working fine for 2 days as you mentioned
You can do some HD diagnostics additionally but as you didn;t change the HD also it's less likely
If you changed the mobo and CPU to much more power demanding and didn;t change the PSU at the same time it's the most likely reason and most dangerous to the whole system! (it may get worse and damage mobo/cpu and the rest!)

You should measure the voltages by a hardware gauge/measurer but as you probably can't do so you'd better quickly run for a BRANDED PSU (corsair or sth) with at least 450W on it !!
otherwise you risk exposing yourself to a longer break in Wow
LOL
i'm leaving work so I'll pop in later ;)

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
well, i really appreciate all the help that you given me =). Although the PSU was bought at the same time as the mobo and CPU, also, there really is only one spot for and IDE cable on the whole board, i just double checked. The PSU actually lists my CPU as a compatible match.

I think like i said earlier, im gonna have to go and see someone that knows how to check all the voltages and stuff like that. geeksquad is based in my local Frys store. i guess ill be seeing them soon.

and thank god for my old PC "the one im typing on" still being as solid as a rock and currently out performing my "new" setup. wow thats just disheartening to say. but yea this pc has wow on it =) and the new patch comes out today!!! yay a new raid!!! lol sorry for that.

but anyhow, thanks again for all your help. if you come up with anything else, pls let me know. and if i get the problem fixed i will be sure to get bak here and let everyone know what was goin on =).

RockyJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
ok guys after making a phone call to the geek squad i was told that it is most likely the hard drive. seems how frys wouldnt exchange or return my hard drive and said i had to go through the manufacturer. i went to frys and bought a new hard drive. 500gb for the same price as the 320 i had bought from them.

installed the hard drive, and it works like magic. im glad i didnt have to resort to the original plan involving the gallon of gasoline.

anyhow, the problem is fixed, thanks for everyones replies and suggestions. =)

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

Glad the problem was fixed. Make sure you send that hard drive back to the manufacturer. Failures aren't uncommon at all.