[SOLVED] Pls Help! Q codes 01 and 03

Spencer_18

Reputable
Nov 9, 2016
I recently took apart my water cooling loop to replace a fan and add a hard drive. When I put everything back together and tried to boot, the bios no longer could find windows on my boot drive. I was puzzled, and left to do something else.

Solution
From manual page 1-32, the 01 code=Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard). 03 =system agent initialization before microcode loading.

Your PC does not even boot into the BIOS, during the power on it already turns off. You are better to remove the WCS+ the 1080, also the whole MB/CPU out of the case, use intel stock cooler if you still have, onboard iGPU to test.

Spencer_18

Reputable
Nov 9, 2016
Background:
I recently took apart my water cooling loop to replace a fan and add a hard drive. When I put everything back together and tried to boot, the bios no longer could find windows on my boot drive. I was puzzled, and left to do something else. When I came back and restarted the computer, it turned on but displayed nothing.

The problem:
When booting, the motherboard displays code 49 for several seconds with red cpu light on, then goes to 01 with red dram lit (no red cpu indicator)for about a min before it runs through more codes, stopping at 03 with cpu lit again no dram. When left on, it cycles through 01-03 endlessly.

I am not savvy enoguh to understand whats going on here.

1st: check your MB manual, it usually will show that either the 01 or03 error code means. If it shows the cpu has problem, and try to don't tighter the cpu cooler screws too much.

If it does not work out, you may take out the cpu to check the cpu has bent pin or not, because you remove the cooling system, which may cause that problem even you did not remove the cpu.

Spencer_18

Reputable
Nov 9, 2016
I taken it apart many times and never had an issue with static, although I wasn' t thinking about staying grounded this time while working.

If I shocked a component what could I expect the damage to be and given the errors do you have any idea what part it likely is?

Thanks for the help

It varies.
The first step is to get it to POST and be able to enter the BIOS.
I would disconnect everything that is not necessary for that and only leave the essential stuff:
  1. Use onboard graphics
  2. Use one stick of RAM
  3. Disconnect and pull everything else except for PSU, CPU + cooling, Monitor and Keyboard
... and try to press the power button.
Then repeat it with the other RAM stick.

Spencer_18

Reputable
Nov 9, 2016
It varies.
The first step is to get it to POST and be able to enter the BIOS.
I would disconnect everything that is not necessary for that and only leave the essential stuff:
  1. Use onboard graphics
  2. Use one stick of RAM
  3. Disconnect and pull everything else except for PSU, CPU + cooling, Monitor and Keyboard
... and try to press the power button.
Then repeat it with the other RAM stick.
I cant disconnect gpu b/c of hard petg coolant tubes. Recently it goes straight to q code 55: "no memory installed". It no longer displayes 49, 01, and 03. I think the ram slots got shocked so it looks like i need a new board. Ill test my ram in a friends pc first then his in mine

I cant disconnect gpu b/c of hard petg coolant tubes. Recently it goes straight to q code 55: "no memory installed". It no longer displayes 49, 01, and 03. I think the ram slots got shocked so it looks like i need a new board. Ill test my ram in a friends pc first then his in mine
I would not keep trying to boot unless you change something.
If you take the whole WCS deal off and just use a stock CPU cooler - it would work fine for testing. Taking all other stuff off the board helps narrow down possible causes.
It might be a shot memory stick for example.

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
My board also gets stuck on 01 prior to crashing and the manual doesnt even mention such code, it mentions a bunch of others but not the one that actually displays in my board. If someone knows what 01 means, please reach out.

Last edited:
From manual page 1-32, the 01 code=Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard). 03 =system agent initialization before microcode loading.

Your PC does not even boot into the BIOS, during the power on it already turns off. You are better to remove the WCS+ the 1080, also the whole MB/CPU out of the case, use intel stock cooler if you still have, onboard iGPU to test.

Solution