[SOLVED] Pls help, WD Elements overvoltage!

Jun 28, 2020
Hello friends,

I'm crying, because a overvoltage (9V instead of 5V) usbhub killed both of my Drives:

WD Elements 5TB 3,5" USB Drive (WDBWLG0050HBK)
WD Elements Portable 3GB 2,5" USB Drive (WDBU6Y0030BBK)

I managed to remove the 3,5" Drive from the case and connect it to a controller, but I don't see the data. Maybe the case uses hardware encryption? Is there any way to recover the data? (it was a mac os formated)

I understand, that for the 2,5" is more difficult, because the controller is on the drive.

I'm beat, because I lost my data AND my backup.. silly me. Cant afford a data recovery conpany :(

Solution
Elements models are not encrypted, AFAIK.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? I suspect that the 5TB model may be configured for a sector size of 4KB rather than 512 bytes. If you can see your partition, r-click it and expand the $Root. Do you now see your file/folder structure?

Can you show us a detailed photo of each side of the Portable PCB? There may be a fuse and protection diode. If the PCB is not salvageable, a replacement PCB and firmware transfer should cost no more than US$50 from suppliers such as hdd-parts.com.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? I suspect that the 5TB model may be configured for a sector size of 4KB rather than 512 bytes. If you can see your partition, r-click it and expand the $Root. Do you now see your file/folder structure?

Can you show us a detailed photo of each side of the Portable PCB? There may be a fuse and protection diode. If the PCB is not salvageable, a replacement PCB and firmware transfer should cost no more than US$50 from suppliers such as hdd-parts.com.

Reactions: brokenHD
Solution
Jun 28, 2020
Hello fzabkar!

Thank you very much for helping! You're absolutely right, it seems not encrypted!
I managed to install DMDE and found my Volume "WD-4TB" the second partition with my data!
It failed to mount with: "diskutil mount /dev/disk4".
But "diskutil mountDisk /dev/disk4" says "Volume(s) mounted successfully", but I see no drive.

You appear to have complicated matters by initialising the drive. Also, the original sector size was 4KB, as I suspected.

ISTM that the safest approach would be to select the $Root and recover the files to another drive. This is only possible with the paid version of DMDE (US$20). The free version can recover up to 4000 files from any one folder at a time.