Question Plug extension cord into ups?

Jan 3, 2021
So I bought a ups (https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/gx1500u/) a while back and I’ve decided to plug my router and modem into the battery backup side of the outlets. However, I’m unable to fit them there as they are those huge plugs that take up two outlets each. My question is that would I be fine using these ([UL Listed] Miady Short Power Extension Cord Outlet Saver, 16AWG/13A, 3 Prong (10 Pack, Black, 8 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9MCTGL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_XcN8FbZS76JVZ) to be able to plug my router and modem into the ups? I’m asking this because I’ve heard that you’re not supposed to plug extension cords into a ups so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t break anything. Thanks in advance!

Typically that goes for plugging your UPS into an extension cord instead of directly into the wall outlet. Since you're only extending the battery-backup outlets and not attaching a power-strip (only plugging in 1 device per backup outlet) it should be fine. Especially since they're low powered devices. Though, as hinted earlier, it's not advisable to plug in a power strip to the battery backup ports. On the non-battery ports it's relatively fine to do so, as long as the power draw doesn't exceed what the UPS is capable of.

Reactions: Jo Ish
That’s good to hear. One more question. Will the surge protection still work as normal?

On paper yes it should be fine, 16AWG should be able to handle the same surge that UPS can handle, but I say on paper because when it comes to electricity that's just a gamble we play with if you really need to go this route. But as I mentioned before these are lower powered devices so it shouldn't be that much of a worry. If you were plugging in a gaming computer or server then it'd be a big no no. You never want to chance your core devices on that.

Jan 3, 2021
On paper yes it should be fine, 16AWG should be able to handle the same surge that UPS can handle, but I say on paper because when it comes to electricity that's just a gamble we play with if you really need to go this route. But as I mentioned before these are lower powered devices so it shouldn't be that much of a worry. If you were plugging in a gaming computer or server then it'd be a big no no. You never want to chance your core devices on that.
yeah that’s definitely understandable. I do have a separate Pfc ups for my pc and monitor that are directly plugged into the ups. I’m just being extra cautious because my router is plugged in via Ethernet to my pc.

yeah that’s definitely understandable. I do have a separate Pfc ups for my pc and monitor that are directly plugged into the ups. I’m just being extra cautious because my router is plugged in via Ethernet to my pc.

Oh well then you definitely don't need to worry, an Ethernet cord is considered low voltage and magnetically isolated meaning there is no direct circuit from the power source and the system it's connected to, i.e router to PC. If a short were to happen at the router it wouldn't travel to the PC via ethernet.

Reactions: Jo Ish
Jan 3, 2021
Oh well then you definitely don't need to worry, an Ethernet cord is considered low voltage and magnetically isolated meaning there is no direct circuit from the power source and the system it's connected to, i.e router to PC. If a short were to happen at the router it wouldn't travel to the PC via ethernet.
Well that’s really refreshing to read. Thanks for the help!

May 7, 2022

I assure you, this is false. I had a surge come through my coax cable, fry my cable modem, through my router and fried that, and then fried the NIC on my Power Edge server.