Plug n Play USB; Code 52; USBaudio.sys (Cannot verify digital signature of MS's own file)

Jikkelstikkel

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hello People,
I'm trying to install HyperX gaming headphones. Supposed to be plug and play.There are NO available drivers from the manufacturer.
I plugged into USB and it automatically starts process to install and look for drivers. It fails, and in device manager shows the Yellow Exclamation mark on the HyperX 7.1 Audio device -- i.e. needs troubleshooting!
Looking into the reason it says that the one driver file USBaudio.sys, digital signature cannot be verified- Error Code 52.
However, this is Microsoft's OWN file it downloaded, or installed from its repository.

It appears to have lost the verification connection between this file and its lookup table or category file, or whatever the system it uses to verify which drivers are signed or not.
I suspect this, because when I check the USBaudio.sys file properties, it DOES say that it IS signed by Microsoft.
I even replaced this file with one from a computer where the headphones work, into the same directory, and checked that it had the MS signature But when I tried to re-install the headphones, the same thing happened. Then I re-checked the file, and indeed it is still signed.
So why is it bleating about NOT being signed, and then failing my plug n play install of the headphones? Any ideas anyone please? This is driving me crazy.

[I have already been through a whole lot of troubleshooting ideas from google. eg. deleting all usb devices stuff (even hidden entries), re-installing all usb. Deleting audio devices, reinstalling all. Many reboots. Trying to install with no other USB devices, except the one in question.]
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks

EDIT: .. . Anyone....?
3mill registered users...? Any ideas?

Solution
Wow. I eventually managed to get it installed.
I had to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 !!.
( I got a clue from some thread I read about harware installation problems).

I first got out my trusty PS/2 mouse and keyboard, got them working. Then uninstalled absolutely every single thing USB I could find -- even the hidden ones.

Rebooted, uninstalled Service Pack 1, reboot etc, then plugged in headphones and it installed perfectly.

Then I reinstalled Service Pack 1 and it still remained fully installed. I then replaced the keyboard and mouse with the USB types, and they were fine.

Going to set a restore point and then hopefully after any more windows updates all will still be fine.

SOLVED.

Jikkelstikkel

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Yep, thanks Getochkn, I did actually avoid the two USB3 ports. But in the end, have tried every single one on the motherboard,

Jikkelstikkel

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Wow. I eventually managed to get it installed.
I had to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 !!.
( I got a clue from some thread I read about harware installation problems).

I first got out my trusty PS/2 mouse and keyboard, got them working. Then uninstalled absolutely every single thing USB I could find -- even the hidden ones.

Rebooted, uninstalled Service Pack 1, reboot etc, then plugged in headphones and it installed perfectly.

Then I reinstalled Service Pack 1 and it still remained fully installed. I then replaced the keyboard and mouse with the USB types, and they were fine.

Going to set a restore point and then hopefully after any more windows updates all will still be fine.

SOLVED.

Solution