[SOLVED] Plug types compatibility on PSU

sunsetwatermelon

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'm really hoping for an answer to this question I have.

I'm planning to use a UPS for my PC. One issue is that the UPS uses a US plug type (Plug Type A/B ?) and my PC + wall socket uses the Plug/Socket Type G.

I asked the UPS seller about my concerns regarding on how to connect the UPS to the power source and I quote,

"If you are connecting your PC to the UPS, you may swap the PSU cable with the UPS cable. Use the PSU cable to connect the UPS to the power source (which means, use the Type G cable from the PSU in my PC to connect the UPS to my wall socket). Since the UPS has a universal outlet, the US plug can now be used to connect the UPS to the PC/PSU."

Is this okay to do? I'm genuinely concerned because afaik, the voltage in the plugs are different and US plugs uses 120 v approx at max vs the Type G which is around 240 v.

Is it really that interchangeable or do I need a transformer to step down the electricity on any of the plugs or is there any steps I should take before I proceed?

I'll need all the help, thank you!

Solution
It really doesn't matter. As long as the current rating of the power cord is enough for the power supply (i.e. don't use a 6A cord for a 1200W PSU). The plug doesn't care what the voltage is. They're typically actually rated to upwards of 600V anyways. :D

What concerns me is that the UPS has Type A plugs. Is it a 240V UPS? In other words: Does it output 230V when on battery power? It's weird that a 230V UPS would have Type A plugs at all.
It really doesn't matter. As long as the current rating of the power cord is enough for the power supply (i.e. don't use a 6A cord for a 1200W PSU). The plug doesn't care what the voltage is. They're typically actually rated to upwards of 600V anyways. :D

What concerns me is that the UPS has Type A plugs. Is it a 240V UPS? In other words: Does it output 230V when on battery power? It's weird that a 230V UPS would have Type A plugs at all.

Reactions: sunsetwatermelon
Solution

TRENDING THREADS