Question Plugged in an HDMI monitor, now original VGA monitor isn't working ?

Aug 18, 2022
Hello. I bought a small TV at the thrift store today intending to use it as a second monitor. I tried to plug it into my pc, but realized my GPU had a micro-hdmi port. I then unplugged my original monitor, which was attached using a VGA cable, and plugged in the thrift store monitor. I removed the graphics card as well. No signal. I unplugged the thrift store monitor and plugged in the the VGA monitor to my PC.

The problem now is my PC will turn on, CPU fans running with motherboard lights, but the same "No Signal" message is now on my original monitor. My keyboard and mouse are no longer lighting up either.

I have tried switching outlets, but I'm still encountering the same issue. I would appreciate any help!

specs are: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6-core

Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro-ATX AM4

Ram: Team T-Create Classic 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4
XPG Z1 16gb ( 2 X 8GB) DDR4

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500GB SSD
Western Digital WD Blue 2TB HDD (not installed)

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro ATX
Dimensions (H x W x D): H15.00" x W9.06" x D15.24"

PSU: EVGA B5 650 W 80+ Bronze Fully Modular ATX

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say what you've done here.

What GPU?

What are the available connections to this thrift store monitor, what are the available connections on your original monitor? What cables do you have?

"I tried to plug it into my pc, but realized my GPU had a micro-hdmi port. " Okay, not sure what that means. If you didn't have the right available connector, what did you do? Jam it in?

"I then unplugged my original monitor, which was attached using a VGA cable, and plugged in the thrift store monitor. " Okay, so the unknown monitor was plugged into a VGA port. What happened?

"I removed the graphics card as well." Why? what effect did you expect to see?

What is the current state of the PC? As shown in your parts list? Or with the mystery GPU plugged in? Are you plugged into the motherboard or the GPU?

I would check all the internal connections again since you were in there pulling a card. Reset the BIOS if nothing else, should get you back to a default mode with either the 5600G or the mystery GPU being enabled.

Keep in mind that VGA is analog. Late model GPUs don't have analog output. Your motherboard does, so the 5600G should be able to output VGA that way. If the card is older it may support a VGA output natively, or offer a DVI to VGA adapter.

Aug 18, 2022
Hard to say what you've done here.

What GPU?

What are the available connections to this thrift store monitor, what are the available connections on your original monitor? What cables do you have?

"I tried to plug it into my pc, but realized my GPU had a micro-hdmi port. " Okay, not sure what that means. If you didn't have the right available connector, what did you do? Jam it in?

"I then unplugged my original monitor, which was attached using a VGA cable, and plugged in the thrift store monitor. " Okay, so the unknown monitor was plugged into a VGA port. What happened?

"I removed the graphics card as well." Why? what effect did you expect to see?

What is the current state of the PC? As shown in your parts list? Or with the mystery GPU plugged in? Are you plugged into the motherboard or the GPU?

I would check all the internal connections again since you were in there pulling a card. Reset the BIOS if nothing else, should get you back to a default mode with either the 5600G or the mystery GPU being enabled.

Keep in mind that VGA is analog. Late model GPUs don't have analog output. Your motherboard does, so the 5600G should be able to output VGA that way. If the card is older it may support a VGA output natively, or offer a DVI to VGA adapter.
My original monitor is a Compaq S2022, and it only accepts a VGA cable, the thrift store monitor only accepts HDMI. I realized after extending the thrift store monitor's HDMI cable to the PC that it would not fit, I did not try to force it in. The most I did was try to unscrew a bar in the back of the PC, as the HDMI cable I was using has a very large plastic casing.

I unplugged my GPU because it no longer served the purpose I needed it for, which was for an extra display port. I currently have everything original plugged in, VGA monitor, no GPU, and have completely removed the thrift store monitor from the equation. I am not sure how to set my computer into BIOS, and even if I were able to, I am still unable to get any type of display from both my Compaq and the HDMI thrift store monitor. And I will also mention the GPU is a EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti, and the display port was labeled HDMI. I have additionally plugged my PC into a different outlet, and my original monitor.

I have my Compaq plugged into the motherboard, which is still getting power as it is lighting up. My external hardrive is also lighting up, it is plugged into a USB port in the front of my PC. This is another reason why I'm confused as to why neither my keyboard or mouse are lighting up. Thank you for your response!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
BIOS reset without the GPU installed should be sufficient to get the system running again, your VGA monitor Unless something coincidentally broke or the thrift store monitor had something wrong with it and it has damaged something.

Your motherboard also has HDMI, so that shouldn't be a problem with either monitor.

Try different ports for your keyboard and mouse. Unplug anything you aren't using. Doublecheck all the necessary connections. Should be:

PSU -> Motherboard 24-pin
PSU -> Motherboard 4/8-pin EPS connector (For the CPU)
Ryzen 5600G
single stick of memory
PC Speaker if applicable (the front I/O speaker/buzzer on the motherboard)
Should also be some LEDs you can look at that will tell you what is preventing a boot, if anything.

After that I would check the PSU, 5V may have failed?
I think VGA uses 5V as a source and then uses a low voltage for signaling, but it has been a while since I messed with VGA.