[SOLVED] Plugged PC into wall and white light flashed... Dangerous?

Sep 16, 2019
I plugged the power cord into the wall and then into the PC (is that bad?) And I saw a flash of white light inside looking like it came from the MOBO. I was terrified that some electric discharge went off or something. So far it appears to work fine, I smell no burning.

Is plugging a cord into the wall then into the PC bad? What might that flash of light had been? I'm running a GPU stress test atm and it's going fine. The MOBO and CPU have some RBG.. could it be the RGB lighting up a generic white colour for a split second? How can I find out if something went wrong or is damaged?

Thank you for time.

Solution
Was the PSU power switch on of off? It is recommended that you plug the cord into the PSU first (mainly to insure its fully seated) then the wall, turn on the PSU power switch then finally use the case switch to turn on the PC.

As far as the flash, it could have just been an RGB or LED indicator light on the mobo, if it was a short I highly doubt the system would boot.
Was the PSU power switch on of off? It is recommended that you plug the cord into the PSU first (mainly to insure its fully seated) then the wall, turn on the PSU power switch then finally use the case switch to turn on the PC.

As far as the flash, it could have just been an RGB or LED indicator light on the mobo, if it was a short I highly doubt the system would boot.

Solution
Sep 16, 2019

Thank you for your reply. The PSU switch was on. So I did it in the incorrect way.. it could cause issues?
I unplugged it and plugged it in again and there was no flash... could it be an RGB or LED that only does it sometimes?

Could it be anything else that is bad other than a short?

Sep 16, 2019
Yeah a power surge protector is important. The problem isn't power cutting out. It's power coming in too strong.
Actually I should say the pc is plugged into a power surge protector. I plugged the surge protector into the wall, the power cord into the surge protector and then the cord into the PC... shoulda mentioned that originally.