Question Plugging 1080 (FHD) laptop into 2K external monitor, but Display Settings won't let me select 2K resolution...

Rocetmal

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
I was debating whether to post this in Laptop or Monitor sub forum but I think it’s a laptop setting issue.

I just bought this Lenovo Yoga 7i laptop (spec sheet here) which has a 1920x1080 display, and I'm plugging it into this Acer G257HU external monitor which supports 2560x1440.

Because the laptop does not have any HDMI or DisplayPort output, I'm using this USB-C to DisplayPort cable, plugged into the laptop's Thunderbolt 4 port.

The connection definitely works, as soon as I plugged the external monitor into the laptop, it recognized the second display.

The problem is that the external monitor is only giving me options for a resolution up to 1920x1080. I even tried installing the monitor driver from the Acer website.

The Intel chip supports 8K so it's not a limiting factor there. Neither the Windows Display settings menu, nor the Intel Graphics Command Center will let me increase the resolution on the monitor to 2K.

Any ideas? I have a support ticket into Lenovo but I'm wondering how helpful they'll be. The monitor runs fine in 2K on the current machine (a tower, not a laptop, but has a 5 year old old i3 chip). Is the second monitor on the laptop messing things up somehow? I tried just about every Display setting change possible: disabling the laptop monitor, extended and duplicate/clone display modes, I'm just lost.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS