Plugging computer into cord extension

ikmal2129

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Is it safe to connect computer directly into cord extension? My extension labelled max to 5AMP , Does 5Amp enough to power up my computer? also, I only plug my computer to that extension

Solution
@OP: You're fine.

@bigpinkdragon286: I didn't say efficiency. I said power factor.

There's a difference between VA and W on AC loads, and that difference depends on the power factor.

EDIT: The cord would be rated for 1100VA or 575VA, but with a low power factor PSU that could mean only ~400W plug load, before you take efficiency into account.
Was your statement about forgetting aimed at moi? I made no statements about his power supply, just that his cord is rated for loads up to a certain wattage. The efficiency of his PSU is entirely irrelevant. What matters is that the amperage passing through the cord does not exceed the 5 amp rating for safety.

@OP: You're fine.

@bigpinkdragon286: I didn't say efficiency. I said power factor.

There's a difference between VA and W on AC loads, and that difference depends on the power factor.

EDIT: The cord would be rated for 1100VA or 575VA, but with a low power factor PSU that could mean only ~400W plug load, before you take efficiency into account.

Solution
the cord means nothing,its the same as plugging in to an outlet.i take it you are in europe as you are running 240v? unless it is a really cheap extension cord it will power the computer just fine. what i am saying is that the extension cord has nothing to do with the efficiency of the psu as long as it can deliver enough current which it can.

if he is running 240v he is not in the U.S. 240v is mostly in europe so heres the math.double the voltage half the amperage.so a 10a 120v service here will be a 240v 5a service there.and further to that no computer ive ever seen in a home draws more than the 10a or the breaker would blow.this debate is over.