Plugging in mouse stalls memory check on boot?

ctrvl

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hey folks,

Hope this is in the right spot. I figured motherboards might be good since this issue is happening at boot time instead of OS.

When I boot my computer, I typically have my mouse plugged in like most people. However, when I have a Razer Naga plugged into *any* USB port, it stalls the memory check. I've tested with every other crappy mouse I have, including a broken, older Razer mouse with no problems. It's only the Naga that stalls the memory test.

I've tried googling "Razer Naga stalls memory test" to no avail; has anyone else heard of this or does anyone know what may be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Computer specifics:

HDD: WD RAPTOR 150GB 10,000 RPM SATAII
HDD2: 1TB SATA II 3.0 GB 7200RPM HD
MEM: 4X MUSHKIN 1G XP2-6400 EXTREME W/HEAT
MOBO: EVGA NFORCE 780I 775 MOTHERBOARD
PS: TAGAN 1100WATT QUAD SLI READY
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 9800GTX SSC 512MB PCI-E
Processor: INTEL QUAD CORE Q9300 2.5GHZ RETAIL
Other: ASETEK 120MM WATERCOOLER

ctrvl

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Sorry ekoostik, I should have been much clearer in my original post. When I said "to no avail" with my Google searches, I had indeed found that post but it didn't help. There are other similar ones for different mice, but I've gone through many of the tests recommended. Here's what I've done so far (in order of attempt):

- Test *every* usb port (I have 8) with Razer Naga. All usb ports with Razer Naga result in stalled memory test
- Test *every* usb port with other mice. No other mice I have tested (4 different ones) have produced the same stalling
- Update firmware with Razer Naga. Downloaded firmware update from Razerzone, installed, tested every usb port, same story
- Update BIOS for motherboard. The update I found only updates the storage controller, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. No dice, same result.
- Try to get to Razer support. I clicked around their site to try to get to open a support ticket but seems like every link takes me to the knowledgebase (maybe I'm just getting confused by their site).

So I figured I'd try here after all of the above. Many thanks for the reply! I'm thinking this might be pointing to a larger defective problem with the motherboard in general; really hoping it's not but we'll see.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Certainly sounds like a BIOS or firmware issue. BIOS change logs/notes rarely tell you everything that's changed so it was good to try the latest BIOS anyway. Do you have USB Legacy Support enabled in the BIOS?

ctrvl

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Thanks again ekoostik. I don't have an option in my BIOS for USB Legacy Support; the only options under USB are:

OnChip USB (Disabled|V1.1+V2.0|v1.1) : V1.1+V2.0 selected
USB Keyboard Support (Disabled|Enabled) : Enabled
USB Mouse Support (Disabled|Enabled) : Enabled

I had previously OC'ed the cpu and memory; I set it back to defaults when I ran the BIOS update though. Maybe I just fried something on it :/

Ayamsayur

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah it happen to me too... Even when im booting in stock cpu speed....

Mobo : Abit IP35i
Procie : Dual core E2160 OC'ed to 3.0GHz
RAM : Team Elite 2x3GB
VGA : POV 9600GT

So... everytime i reboot, i unplug naga 1st... after system running i plug that mouse... works fine afterward.....